Solar Fans

The OP said it was a large pole barn. No way to move air effectively in a large pole barn using solar panels unless you have a LOTTA money. Be much cheaper
to put in a diesel generator on a timer and use regular 120VAC fans, or cheaper yet, have electricity run to the area.

Solar panels are usually used to charge batteries, which then provide the power, so in effect you are looking for battery powered fans. Forget the Costco stuff.

Last edited:
Hm, I thought the point was just to give chickens a good breeze to stand in to help them stay cool? There is no reason at all that wouldn't work in a pole barn of ANY size whatsoever, as long as the ceiling fans are not excessively high above the floor.

But if I'm wrong and the point is actually air exchange, then yeah, you need actual barn-type ventilation fans. Which in turn COULD also be hooked directly up to solar panels, with all the foregoing caveats... but it'd take some BIG panels.

Pat

Looking at a 36'x48' with 8-10' cieling height with 8'x12' open air pens surrounding the inside of the barn. in a large open field. Open sided with maybe some closable curtains to block bad weather and a 12'x12' closed walled in room for storage. Was really just thinking about fans moving air for a slight breeze that would cut on in the morning sun and cut off at dusk without wiring them into the power grid. It was just a thought.

Something like this maybe?

38371_pole_barn.jpg

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts!

Quote:
What is the point of a solar panel if you power it with a light bulb? Might as well just use the electricity that powers the bulb to run the fan. If you are wanting a backup system for cloudy days - then use a battery.

Quote:
Not true. RV fans that run on 12v power can really move a LOT Of air. One simply needs to select the correct fan. I have a 28' Travel trailer with a "super fan" in the ceiling. That thing really moves the air!

Dave

If chickens dont sweat -- how does a breeze help them feel cooler?

I sweat, so when a breeze blows across my skin on a hot day, the sweat evaporates faster, which makes me feel cooler. I would think that with no sweat, there is no real cooling effect the birds would feel from any breeze.

Where did I get confused about sweat, chickens and breezes?

Dave

I have a large polebarn (32x32) and have considered putting solar fans and lighting in it for the horses.

One of the stalls is a converted chicken coop...

I would love to see what ideas anyone else has, especially successes.

I run my entire fencing off of solar power... surely there is a decent fan out there for this.... maybe someone using sustainable living can help with advice.

I have a large polebarn (32x32) and have considered putting solar fans and lighting in it for the horses.

One of the stalls is a converted chicken coop...

I would love to see what ideas anyone else has, especially successes.

I run my entire fencing off of solar power... surely there is a decent fan out there for this.... maybe someone using sustainable living can help with advice.

As for my fence... it will run 7 days without sunlight...

it is not difficult to do, nor does it seem unreasonable to me, it's just a question of whether it's worth it to you to spend the money. Ceiling fans (type thing) draw FAR FAR more current than an electric fence charger (which draws next to no current at all -- high voltage but low *amperage* and only in brief pulses). Talk to solar people, not chicken people
smile.png

Empirically (as opposed to "here is a mathematical model showing bumblebees cannot fly") chickens DO seem to be cooled by a breeze. I would imagine that it's largely because it replaces the 101 F (ish) air amongst their feathers with slightly-cooler ambient air, as it ruffles their feathers and forces airflow; and probably also partly because even tho they don't *sweat* they still have some moisture in their skin.

Pat

The most efficient and cost effective thing to do would be to use regular ceiling fans controlled by thermostats. Solar electric systems are terribly inefficient and expensive. BTW, I have a 9.72 kW grid tied solar electric system on my house.

Back
Top Bottom