Solar light for no electric coop - great find!

shakecc

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Central OH
We have recently finished our coop and working on the run. We only have 7 chickens so it is not a huge coop 4' x 7'. We are trying to avoid running electric to it. We were thinking of a solar light to help with light when needed. I found some solar lights at our local Meijer's store the other day in the gardening section that were 50% off. It is a "spotlight" that is shaped like a rear view car mirror and mounts to the wall. The solar panel is on a cord that we ran through the rafters and mounted on the roof outside. It has a off on switch, but the best feature is that it comes with a remote control that we hung at the entrance door so when you enter the coop you can turn it off and on. I was surprised to find this in the gardening section as so many of them are auto on/off - dusk to dawn lights.

I am thrilled with it...especially for $12.50! I bought several! They also had a solar spotlight that we hung outside that has a sensor on it that turns on when something enters the area. It was 50% off so we bought it for 15.00.

Does the bulb emit heat? I've thought about something like that for really cold nights in the winter but DH said it wu\\ould a) be too expensive and b) not put out enough heat.

Quote:
No, It does not emit heat as they are just LED bulbs so unfortunatly it would not be good for heating in the winter.

Hey Shakecc
Welcome to the BYC
I hope I can find that kind of deal in the Springfield O store!!!
I love solar lights
I'm thinking about buying some for Christmas on ebay
They are pricey but no extension cords!!!
Melia

We found our solar light for $15 in a dust covered shelf at the local Home Depot. Thing works really well.
Will be insulating the coop for the cold weather

Good to know someone makes a solar powered light that is motion activated. And at a reasonable price if I look for it. Great find, OP, great deal!

Back
Top Bottom