Solar Lighting

OK, Thanks. I guess I will have to see how long the longest cord at the big box store is.
If only about 100ft you can get a roll of under ground wire for less than $60, cut your grass real low----take a lawn edger and go from point A to point B----2 or 3 timed cutting a little trench about as wide as your finger---clean it out with your finger, lay the wire in this shallow ditch----cover it and remember its there(no digging on that line)---hook up each end and your done.

I used solar spotlights in a chicken tractor a few years ago. While I prefer to light in the morning, lighting at night with solar is not a problem, as the light fades gradually as opposed to shutting off suddenly. The lights lasted 3-4 hours in the winter which was just long enough. Mine were dusk to dawn, so went on automatically & faded after 3-4 hours.

I went to harbor freight and bought their solar set up I added three batteries in
That's what I was thinking he should start out with. Its according to the battery size but if the 3 are deepcycle it probably want keep them charged like they should be---being its only 45 watt max, but I have used 2 deep cycle for a long time and they did pretty good.

Being realistic here----for the cost of the solar set-up, the batteries, the up keep, I would have come out a lot better to just buy some eggs during the slow down---LOL.

Edited to add a pic----I did not want my post about the 8 lights to be mis-leading----they were not running on the harbor freight panels so I added a pic of my other solar set-up.

Attachments

• Homesteading Things 010.JPG
    Homesteading Things 010.JPG
    590.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Solar2 025.JPG
    Solar2 025.JPG
    572.6 KB · Views: 10
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CL71KIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this (not in coop yet but tested and works)
It has a remote so I could turn it on and off form the house. Also has a low/med/high amount of light switch, The High is bright ! and LED.
Just a thought.
If you have an out door plug you could also run extrention cord through a 2 inch PVC pipe along the ground to the coop.
I did that for my electric Car

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CL71KIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this (not in coop yet but tested and works)
It has a remote so I could turn it on and off form the house. Also has a low/med/high amount of light switch, The High is bright ! and LED.
Just a thought.
If you have an out door plug you could also run extrention cord through a 2 inch PVC pipe along the ground to the coop.
I did that for my electric Car
Have you tried these out yet. I was looking at them. I wanted to use them just to add light in the winter when I go out to check water and feeders before I leave for work and then in the evening when I go out after work, probably 2-3 hours a day. I liked the idea of the remote so I can turn it on and off from the house so I wouldn't have to go stumble into the dark. I also like the hi low feature so I could lower the light gradually in the evening. I have been going back and forth between these and a regular utility light as I have to run an extension cord anyways to heat water in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom