Solar system for a New Chicken Coop.

We have tried the auto openers, but I have ditched them. There isn't too much better in my opinion than walking to the coop in the morning, with hot coffee, and greeting the chickens as they come out - then drink your coffee and watch them for about 15 minutes. Each wI'll have their own morning routine. It's a good boost to Closing the coop is a different story, but that is why we have children 😂

If you do want the auto opener, Amazon has plenty of options that run on double A batteries and last awhile.

We are in central Oregon and average around 20 degree temps December and January, with it routinely getting to -15 and below, and we don't heat. Two reasons:

1. Chickens have a natural cycle. It is proven that lighting in the winter destroys this cycle, and it is my belief that heating does too - rather than having a booming spring lay, they seemed to trickle through the winter and then have a really slow start to spring wirh a heated coop. We freeze dry our eggs and enjoy those in the winter if lay is sparse. I understand that isn't possible for everyone.

2. We keep our remove roosts and and reduce roosting space in the winter, forcing them to huddle up. Between that and a rotating deep litter coop floor, they keep it pretty warm. We do get some frostbite on the combs of new roosters and hens with larger combs, but it is usually only the very tips and we treat that with shea butter until they fall off. After those tips fall off their first year, and I mean the very tips, we don't see any more frostbite the subsequent years with there being no small vulnerable tips. We have never had frost bitten feet or any other cold related ailments.

Feeding corn just before bedtime will also help boost their body temps for the evening. Another task that 10 and 12 year old sons excel at 😂

Something I have always wanted designated power for in the winters is a heated waterer and some motion activated lights. For those two things, the cost and effort would be worth it.
Until you can get permanent power installed these lights are awesome especially for the price point. I just recently got 2 of these & they put out a lot of light for solar lighting. The only downside I have found is there is no adjustable setting for sensitivity or light time. The light will only stay on for 30 sec then you have to reset the sensor.

Until you can get permanent power installed these lights are awesome especially for the price point. I just recently got 2 of these & they put out a lot of light for solar lighting. The only downside I have found is there is no adjustable setting for sensitivity or light time. The light will only stay on for 30 sec then you have to reset the sensor.
I don't think I would ever trust any product manufacture that specifically says "No Batteries" on the packaging (yet it has have) but in their fourth picture it says "battery run time" LOL

Besides for just a little more you can get two sets that have detached solar panels. I know the ones you are talking about, actually promote "No Wires" (as if that's a bad thing) but having the option to mount the light where it's most needed, while mounting the solar panel where it is the most effective, is a way better selling point. Especially for most chicken coops where people tend to try and put them in the shade.

I don't think I would ever trust any product manufacture that specifically says "No Batteries" on the packaging (yet it has have) but in their fourth picture it says "battery run time" LOL

Besides for just a little more you can get two sets that have detached solar panels. I know the ones you are talking about, actually promote "No Wires" (as if that's a bad thing) but having the option to mount the light where it's most needed, while mounting the solar panel where it is the most effective, is a way better selling point. Especially for most chicken coops where people tend to try and put them in the shade.
Those definitely look like they would be better. However, all I could personally recommend are the ones that I have experience with. I appreciate the advice, I will probably try those when I need lights for remote use.

I see your in SC, in your climate chickens don't need heat. I get -10 often with no issues. Ventilation is more important for a happy flock.
Agree about not needing heat for coop. Chickens‘ core body temp is 107, plus they have warm jackets all year. Finally, heat lamps are incredibly dangerous for causing fires.

Back
Top Bottom