Solar (water) heating in coop?

I'll be moving my coop and run about 8' to the north this summer. I was really clever with the framing design, the roof overhang shades the south wall and window during the summer, and during the winter gets full sun.

But not the run. I have a 6' privacy fence, and most of the run is inside the shadow zone for the fence from about mid november on. In addition, the next door neighbor has a garage, and it's shadow falls right in the run. Grr. The snow in the run hasn't melted for several storms in a row. The chickens get direct sunlight on their yard for about an hour, from 3 to 4 pm.

Not looking forward to moving the coop. I built it like a house, so it will be really heavy. I'm thinking "bobcat with a forklift."

After following this thread, I have several ideas, though have never put any of them into practice. What if you had your pump put on a timer (assuming that you are using a water system) to only run during the day. Could shut it down on cloudy days. And ran the water into a heat sink area with heavy rocks to absorb the heat and release it slowly over night. An other thought is that you might take advantage of a south facing window or a sky light and a thermal mass of black rocks, dark buckets (closed) with water placed to soak up the solar gain. I agree with other posters that insulation in the case of extreme cold will be your best friend.

Doing all of this heating and insulating on these coops sounds alright if the chickens needed it ..One thing you have to remember.If you plan on all of this,then what are you going to do about your ventilation. You have to keep the moisture and humidity out of the coop.Also when you open the poop doors for the day there goes your heat.I'm in the process of adding an addition between both of my coops.This area is about 7'x7' x6' high.I am placing old fashion storm windows in it on both sides.The sun will provide natural heat for my coops and it will thaw my water during the day.I usually give them enough water during the day to last that day and then when I add water the next morning I have enough space to fill it back up for another day.With the heat from the windows and them drinking the water I don't figure a lot of water spillage. It will be trial and error but this way it doesn't cost me a lot and If I loose power I still have what the good Lord give us free.

Is there a certain material that works best to insulate a coop? New here and ours is just a wooden coop with no insulation and a small door that is open 24hrs to the run. We are approaching our first CO winter with 5 hens and I am not sure how cold they will really be. I was going to look into the heated watering systems to survive winter but if insulation would prevent that it would be much better and ease my worries that I'll find them frozen one morning
duc.gif

Purchase a 5 gal bucket, a 10 gallon dog food container that had a handle you can hang on a hook, purchase spray foam can, purchase 4-5 nipples, purchase a bird bath heater. (this uses near 40 watts and can be used for solar powered coops). $100 total.

Insert the 5 gallon bucket inside the larger bucket, drill your nipple holes in one step. Insert the nipples into the 5 gallon bucket. Using spray foam add insulation. Secure the larger bucket's lid and the next day your set to use your water feeder. Chickens will use this and will get enough water. I use a timer to ensure the power is not consumed in 1 day (presently have a 100 watt solar panel, with AC converter, and 200 ah battery pack).

There are also options for 12 volt timers, water temp on off regulators, and 12 volt silicone heating elements (I am thinking of converting my solar powered coop from 120 AC to 12V DC power soon). 100$ to convert the lights, timers, temperature regulators, photocells, and water bucket heating, but this change is expected to help endure cloudy days that deplete the batteries too fast.

This is the second year. I didn't convert it to DC but purchased a second pannel. It needs two panels for more consistent power that is uninterrupted.

Back
Top Bottom