Solar

I started solar power with an easy cheap set up from Harbor Freight. Cost $150 and is 45 watt panel. That does not include cost of battery which is a marine deep cycle and runs about $80
I have also built my own solar power from soda cans and plastic bottles. Am working on a hot water heater now using copper coils.

i keep reading up on this.

so i get solar panels and a charge controller (i guess that's to keep the battery from overcharging and doing bad things to itself and others?)... and a battery... then i can get an inverter, which will connect to the battery and have like 110 plugs i can use for... whatever, a fan, laptop, tiny tv, etc?

Hi La - I'm your neighbor southeast texas - I too have taken an interest in solor here lately Hubby bought 15 acres on cow bayou in Bridge City He's playing farmer, while I'm starting up with chickens. Anyway I thought we could try out solor out there and see if we could run his shop off grid - I bought a DVD on how to from a retired electician who runs his whole house and has help family and neighbors/friends to do the same to one degree or another - and obviously decided to go public - his is all common easy to come by parts - and so he says easy enough for the DYI group. I did dig it out a couple mths back for hubby. Seems he had been talking about what i was researching and his breakfast buds got interrested. Wonting to be in on the project, and if it is what it says it is try it themselves. But, I've been really overloaded and out of sight out of mind. We own a small trucking co. and it's tax time, busy busy. Your questions caught my attention, I'm going to be freed up by next week, and I'll dig up that DVD again. when I find it I'll post it. Hope to talk again soon .

We've been saving plastic bottles to build our own hot water system and are almost ready to put it together. I really want to get into the electric side of it too though. Anyone have sources for buying the panels and batteries and converters etc?

Back
Top Bottom