"Sold" my first eggs today!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Shannon's Chix, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    My little guy (9) and I went to the farmer's market today held every Thursday in our little town. I only brought (and had) a dozen eggs but just wanted to see what kind of turnout they have...if people are looking for eggs...etc...

I was gonna ask $2.50 for the eggs. Had them in a cardboard carton (bought a bunch on ebay...I have been giving mine to friends and family in tupperware lol) and had this cute little pic I printed out on it:
    [​IMG]

So right away we start talking to this lady who has all kinds of pickled things and she lets my son try the pickled zucchini which he LOVED! I told him I didn't have any cash on me and she traded me the pickles for the eggs! And for the pickles she was asking 4 dollars! So I *sorta* sold my first eggs! Here's the pickled zucchini...Ben had "marked" the jar...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When we got home I went outside with the chicks for awhile and while I was gone my son had eaten all the pickles! He told me we got ripped off because there were only about 15 little pickles in there and we gave her 12 "big beautiful" (his words not mine) eggs! [​IMG]

Smart kid!

2. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    What an awesome story! Though $4 for that little jar is an awful lot . . .
    You going to bring more eggs to the market next time?

3. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    How exciting! Congrats on the "sale"! [​IMG]
    And great that your son loved the pickles ~ none of my kids will eat pickles.

4. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Quote:That was the kicker...today was the last day! They don't have the market in the summer, they will restart in September but the pickle lady said they have one on Friday's the next town over so I may try that! [​IMG]

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Bread and Butter MMMMM

6. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    they don't have a market in the summer? that's crazy. lol. there's lots of things to sell in the summer time. we have markets on different days of the week at different places. on wednesday there is one at an area grocery store, on friday about 45 mins away at a local park, saturday, at our local store, and also 45 mins away by the city hall, and sunday at another grocery store.. and each one is pretty big. i should get pics sometime [​IMG]

Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by