sold wrong chicks

Dzzzyd

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 9, 2007
Klamath Falls, Oregon
My husband ordered me two Barred Rock chicks and we were told we had to wait another week for them to come in. Well, hubby was in there a week earlier for feed and was told they were already in and bought two. I thought they didn't look quite right when he brought them home, but I am no expert. Maybe I know more than I think, cause they have turned out to be Sex Links. I've never had these before. I do know that they should've been priced less according to the signs, but no biggie. Can anyone tell me more from your experience with these chickens? I really wanted the Barred Rocks, but I don't have any room for more now.
roll.png
Thanks...

Sex link hens rock! They lay every day and the first year, mine laid all through winter. They are pretty relaxed and curious. I think you'll be happy with them.

<----- I have two Black Sex Links and I love my girls. They can and do lay some whoppers. I would love to get some more in the future.

Last edited:
I hope you decide to keep them. I have two red sex links, they are very friendly, and give me huge brown eggs everyday, all winter too.

I've had them since last May, and when they started laying I had a total of seventeen double yolkers from my girlsies. Enjoy them, they're great birds.

They do not look the same as Barred Rocks, obviously, but I think you will not be dissapointed. They start laying earlier than other breeds and then lay an egg a day for two years. The sex-links only down fall is that they burnout in 2-3 years, because they were designed to lay fast and hard for only a short while.

I like my sex-links now, I do not have any temperment problems with them. They keep the younger roosters in line. LOL. They are friendly things, I wouldn't call mine lap pets, but they like to follow me around looking for hand-outs.

Will the feedstore swap them out for the Barred Rocks, if you did not want the sexlinks? Just explain that there was a mix-up.

They're not Barred Rocks(according to you), but they shouldn't be a dissapointment at all!

I think you will really like them. I like mine.
-Kim

Sex links are great chickens. Mine are so friendly you can pick them right up. They aren't skittish, are real pretty and I think you will enjoy them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom