Solid stones at base of feathers near vent

Oh crikey. Thanks everyone.
I have some spray with permethrin in so can use that on the coop. I don't have anything currently that I can put on Raquel, other than DE, but will see what I can get. I need to get rid of the hard mass around her bottom. Any tips for cutting the feathers without her bleeding to death 😬?
Put the permethrin on the birds too, under the feathers on the skin...
....around vent and neck, under wings and belly. Repeat in 7 days for 3 weeks.

Thanks. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Everything will be fully cleaned and permethrin'd ((if there is such a verb 🙂) tomorrow.
Like most people, I do like to do things naturally as I think that is the best way for bird and human, however I am not too precious to turn to chemical aid when needs be.
I have checked the perches just now(they are all roosting) and there are no such blood spots on the perches. I have rubbed along under and over with a tissue to check.
From my research on lice it appears that they live their entire lives on the birds so maybe that is to be expected.
Thanks again for all advice.
Correct, and lice don't eat much blood like mites do.

Thank you, I will see what I can find. My permethrin spray is just for housing, so I'd need a different product for the hens.
Some other folks suggested vaseline to suffocate the eggs and DE for the live ones, but I understand that I might need a bit more of a heavy handed response given the numbers.

My permethrin spray is just for housing, so I'd need a different product for the hens.
Can it be diluted?
Post pics of the labels?

Some other folks suggested vaseline to suffocate the eggs and DE for the live ones, but I understand that I might need a bit more of a heavy handed response given the numbers.
Petroleum jelly or oil can help suffocate the eggs.
DE will do nothing.

No, it's an aerosol so can't be diluted. It's Johnson's poultry housing spray. I haven't been able to see anything on the internet that I can buy here to put on the hens that isn't just DE.

Can it be diluted?
Post pics of the labels?

Petroleum jelly or oil can help suffocate the eggs.
DE will do nothing.
DE works. It won't take care of this infestation but if the birds don't have any bugs and it is put luberally in their dust bath, it stops them from getting buggy.

It's also the best thing to keep their insides worm-free.

I've done what I can in terms of spraying the house and snipping off the feathers with eggs on, and, like I say, will get the vaseline to suffocate any remaining eggs, but I'm still not really sure of a product I can get here to put on the hens which will deal with this issue 😬. It's super expensive to use the vets and actually I wouldn't expect our vets to have much of a clue about chickens to start with. I'm thinking I will just dust the hens myself regularly with the DE (lots of stuff on net about using this to deal with lice infestation) as well as keep adding to the dust bath, and this will cause live ones to die. Eventually (hopefully 😬) the situation will come under control.
Hoping you're all well in your various quarters of the world. Thanks again.

No, it's an aerosol so can't be diluted. It's Johnson's poultry housing spray. I haven't been able to see anything on the internet that I can buy here to put on the hens that isn't just DE.
that's too bad, I see it have other ingredients so probably why.
1594595907032.png

@Yorkshire Coop what can be used against lice in the UK?

DE works. It won't take care of this infestation but if the birds don't have any bugs and it is put luberally in their dust bath, it stops them from getting buggy.
It's also the best thing to keep their insides worm-free.
It will not prevent either, and aseptically will not kill worms internally.

Back
Top Bottom