Solid Surface Roof on Run? Pros and Cons?

I have an 18 x 8 run with all metal roofing, it's secure and stops the run becoming a quagmire in the rain. However I am considering an extension with wire roofing as they do seem to like the direct sunlight when they are free ranging.
I'm building a 9x18 run and want to install metal roofing on the North end and Sun Tuff on the s. end. It's going to be a shed style roof and the coop will be facing west.

Can you please give me a "ball park figure" as to the cost of materials? Thankyewverymuch ;)

Hi Aunt Tat

I'm in the UK so not sure how prices compare but I paid around £500 for the metal sheets and roof light sheets. Around £100 of this was the flashings, etc but you might not need these depending on the style of your roof - sorry, not sure what shed style roof is?

Also, I could have bought cheaper but I went for the Plastisol painted version with anti condensation backing.

I suspect if I built it again I could save quite a lot of money on materials, but not knowing what I was doing I paid a premium for some stuff.

1620234833775.png

Shed roof is high on the front, lower in the back.

Thanks so much for the info. The cost is about what I was thinking (in terms of US dollars LOL) But like the 1/2" hardware cloth, it's an investment in the flock.

I had originally planned to build my coop like that before I started watching CC videos. It's probably going to cost less as you won't the apex so less material and no flashing to cap it off. I had mine cut to size so I didn't need to do anything other than fit it.

I think my hardware cloth cost almost as much as the roof - that seems to be super expensive in the UK but like you say its an investment in the chooks (and my own sanity as I'd just worry or be so upset if something got in because I'd not spent the money!)

Good luck with the build :)

Can you please give me a "ball park figure" as to the cost of materials?

This is going to vary TREMENDOUSLY from place to place.

Two weeks ago my DH discovered that the lumber he needed for the roof joists was $2/board less in the Lowes that is 10 minutes further away than the closer one. Blue-collar area vs retirement community and in different counties.

Back
Top Bottom