Solo Ameraucana Chick

IzzyMom

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
New Mexico
So I'm helping a friend out with raising a single chick. She had a broody hen who was not a great mama, killed all but one of her babies, and now that one is with me. She has no other chicks in her barnyard right now, and does not have a brooder, or another broody hen to help her out. So because I was helping our local feed store out by rehabilitating some chicks that got injured in delivery, I had all the supplies.

Long story short I have a couple of questions about "Sage" the solo chick I have now. He's about 3-4 weeks old, getting his feathers in and trying to fly. (I say "his" because that little one sure does act like a roo! Very territorial of the brooder and his feather-duster mama & friend-mirror). When is it safe to start acclimating him to outside without the sunlamp? (it's supposed to be in the low 80's here next week) The brooder is usually between 75-80 degrees now.

And - when can he safely go back to his flock? Any suggestions on how to entertain the little guy would be helpful too.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom