solo bird

blue brooke

Hatching
May 29, 2020
We have two chickens, purchased together 18 months ago they were very close, never far apart following each other around the garden. Sadly we lost a bird last evening, my surviving hen is now like a lost soul, she is eating, but spent most of the day puffed up and quiet in a corner or under the apple tree. I do not want her to get depressed or be lonely. Would we be wise to purchase a couple pol birds to distract her and keep her company ? Not done this before, so really sure how or when would be the best time to do this if at all. Any advice appreciated.

I can't imagine her ever being very happy without a flock to hangout with. I don't think I've ever seen a lone chicken other than ones that wander of from the flock for an hour or two, but they always come back to the group. I had two turkey poults that I got from my boss many years ago and raised them with a group of broiler birds. One died because it got trampled by those meat monsters and, once I butchered out the broilers, the remaining turkey tried to go and join my laying flock and was sorely punished by them for entering their domain. That turkey spent the rest of its life staring into the windows of our house and chasing my dog around the yard whenever we let her out. She was very lonely and it was pretty sad to watch. I think a chicken might react the same way to being alone.

I think best to get her a friend or few! Chickens don’t like being alone as they’re flock animals. Hope you get things sorted soon!🤞🏻😊

Back
Top Bottom