Solo chicken

kbrown927

Chirping
May 9, 2014
Northwest Corner of CT
My six girls were all chicks at the same time, 8 yrs ago. I lost one in the second year when she fell off a roost and broke her neck; and another a year later from what I’m told was prob a heart attack. The “core four” have been spoiled, happy fluff butts for the last five years. About a month ago I came out to my smallest girl having randomly passed in the night, followed by two more - one two weeks ago and one just this morning. Both were fine until the suddenly stopped eating & drinking - lethargic and seemed to have lost their will to live. I tried everything- eye dropper electrolytes, GSE, and separated them, but within 48 hrs both passed.
That leaves me with just one girl “Momma” hen - my biggest and strongest. I’m heartbroken and it’s heading into winter, so no new chicks for a while. My question is how do I keep Momma happy alone? I know she needs friends and she’s already upset that the other girls are gone. Has anyone had this situation? What to do??

I am so sorry for your loss.
Would you consider purchasing hatching eggs for her? You would need plans for if some are cockerels. With the winter, you would be able to keep them in the coop better plus she will be sitting on those eggs.
Otherwise, a mirror may be a good addition to the coop.

Oh no!
Gosh that's really tragic.

If you are sure Momma has nothing wrong with her. I recently met a chicken keeper who's hen's friend had passed of a stroke and they immediately went looking for another.
Yes, maybe chicks, is she broody at all?

My six girls were all chicks at the same time, 8 yrs ago. I lost one in the second year when she fell off a roost and broke her neck; and another a year later from what I’m told was prob a heart attack. The “core four” have been spoiled, happy fluff butts for the last five years. About a month ago I came out to my smallest girl having randomly passed in the night, followed by two more - one two weeks ago and one just this morning. Both were fine until the suddenly stopped eating & drinking - lethargic and seemed to have lost their will to live. I tried everything- eye dropper electrolytes, GSE, and separated them, but within 48 hrs both passed.
That leaves me with just one girl “Momma” hen - my biggest and strongest. I’m heartbroken and it’s heading into winter, so no new chicks for a while. My question is how do I keep Momma happy alone? I know she needs friends and she’s already upset that the other girls are gone. Has anyone had this situation? What to do??
loss.jpg

So sorry for your loss:hugs
If chicks are out of the question for the winter, you could try putting a stuffed animal chicken in the coop for her to snuggle with at night, a mirror or two would be good, and be sure to spend as much time as you can with her in the coop/run/yard. Or you could bring her into the house to be a house chicken if that is a viable option.

First of all I am so sorry.

Now I don't know your housing situation but would you consider a house chicken? At least until she has a friend.

So sorry for your loss:hugs
If chicks are out of the question for the winter, you could try putting a stuffed animal chicken in the coop for her to snuggle with at night, a mirror or two would be good, and be sure to spend as much time as you can with her in the coop/run/yard. Or you could bring her into the house to be a house chicken if that is a viable option.
Great ideas! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom