Solution to mouse problem?

What's your mouse removal solution?

• baited snap traps

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • live trap box (for release or drowning)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • sticky traps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get mad & do nothing--haha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other option--please explain

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
We have a mouse issue. I know our coops are full of mice and I half-heartedly try to reduce that population there sometimes. However today's problem is in our garage where I store my cured garden produce.

We've removed all the grass seed, the original attractant.
Tried live trap boxes with initial success and now they just eat the bait and leave the box. Can't figure why they couldn't get out at first and now they can.
The snap traps seem to get stripped! Maybe the mice are very small & not strong enough to trigger the snap.
What other options are out there?

I recently found two rats in my coop, I used snap traps baited with chicken feed and got them both.
I also have mice/rats in the garage...I've tried snap traps with chicken feed in there for a few nights and haven't got anything yet.
I say keep trying snap traps and use different baits. :confused:

Best solution I've found is good old wire and spring snap traps.
Yeah, they can be hard to set, but you'll get good at it with practice.
Shove a piece of sunflower seed or corn, from chicken scratch mix, tight into the bait/trigger loop, then sprinkle a few more pieces around the trigger. Place the baited end of traps against a wall or other flat vertical surface.

Mix peanut butter and bread into a thick dough, and make sure you get it under the teeth of the bait plate.
Also mouse x is very effective and only works on rodents so no secondary poisoning.

Best solution I've found is good old wire and spring snap traps.
Yeah, they can be hard to set, but you'll get good at it with practice.
Shove a piece of sunflower seed or corn, from chicken scratch mix, tight into the bait/trigger loop, then sprinkle a few more pieces around the trigger. Place the baited end of traps against a wall or other flat vertical surface.
OK. This might be a game changer! I've been using peanut butter.

We’ve used bucket traps with great success. The mice fall in and can’t get out. We caught 20 our first night of use. Here is one of many links on how to build one. You can also buy them if you aren‘t handy.
http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/
This would be amazing if I could set it up where our dogs can't reach it. Have you put one of these inside a chicken coop with success? Would the chickens go for the peanut butter?

I'm going to try this tonight in our garage--and keep the dogs out of there. Here's hoping!

This would be amazing if I could set it up where our dogs can't reach it. Have you put one of these inside a chicken coop with success? Would the chickens go for the peanut butter?

I'm going to try this tonight in our garage--and keep the dogs out of there. Here's hoping!
I had good luck with a bucket trap too, especially at first when the population was high.
Was too high maintenance to use once the numbers dropped.

I would not put one in the coop, unless you fence it off from the birds with mesh small enough to keep the chickens out, but large enough for the mice to get thru.

I use this basket when setting traps where the chickens are.
full

I put ours in our shop and garage, not in the coop. We don’t have many mice hanging out there. They seem to just go out for fast food in the coop and return home (the shop) where it is warmer.

Back
Top Bottom