Solutions for temporary goat fencing?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by poppyy, Sep 23, 2015.

1. poppyy

poppyy New Egg

May 4, 2015
    Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for temporary goat fencing? I have an orchard, and plenty of overgrown areas on my land. I had a plan to move my goats, about once a month, to different areas on my land, so that they can forage happily and at the same time, I can have some brush cleared up! Well I planned on using the premier fence netting, as its temporary and easy to move. I recently bought some for my chickens, and set it up yesterday. Well, tonight I went out looking for my dog, and I found him horribly tangled up in the netting!! I'm just so so happy that I didn't have the electricity turned on at the time. Now I don't feel comfortable using it with goats at all, I'm worried they'll get tangled up in it when I'm not there.

So, does anyone have any alternatives?? I'm at a loss here...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    We have used regular electric wire with our goats, 2 or 3 strands, fairly easy to move, you could also assemble a pen out of cattle panels and fence posts, maybe slowly extending it allowing as the they graze, of course beware if your goats have horns as they will stick their heads through and can get them out.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

We used cattle panels for our goats. They had 4x4 squares, so no head entrapment. 16 feet long, we used 4 of them, or 3 and the perimeter fence. Clipped them together with bull snaps or tied with baling twine. A T-post at the corners and we were good.

4. poppyy

poppyy New Egg

May 4, 2015
    Of course, I never even thought of cattle panels, that would work perfectly. Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by