(Solved) Ducks quack really quiet.

SirWaffle

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
I currently have 2 geese and 4 Cayuga duck and about 2 days ago one of the ducks gorged themselfs on their food and was extremely bloated in their chest. I gently massaged it as I read to do online and the swelling was gone the nexted morning, but when it was swolen I noticed it could bearly quack and it mostly just sounded like air with a little bit of a squeak, like blowing through a broken whistle. After the swelling was gone it voice didn't come back.
-Did the swelling injured their throat?
-Do I need to do anything or just let it heal?
-Is this a sign of a parasite or fungal infection?

I currently have 2 geese and 4 Cayuga duck and about 2 days ago one of the ducks gorged themselfs on their food and was extremely bloated in their chest. I gently massaged it as I read to do online and the swelling was gone the nexted morning, but when it was swolen I noticed it could bearly quack and it mostly just sounded like air with a little bit of a squeak, like blowing through a broken whistle. After the swelling was gone it voice didn't come back.
-Did the swelling injured their throat?
-Do I need to do anything or just let it heal?
-Is this a sign of a parasite or fungal infection?
Did they definitely quack before their crops were full?
Could you share a photo of the duck?

Are you keeping food out all the time for them so they don’t gorge? I don’t know about the lost quack but gorging usually happens when they have to go periods with out food. My geese and ducks get to eat from sunup to bedtime then I take food up also very important they have water when eating and deep enough to be able to dunk their heads.

Are you keeping food out all the time for them so they don’t gorge? I don’t know about the lost quack but gorging usually happens when they have to go periods with out food. My geese and ducks get to eat from sunup to bedtime then I take food up also very important they have water when eating and deep enough to be able to dunk their heads.
No I feed them twice a day and let them eat as much as they want and spread it out that they don't eat to fast, but I guess I should change that.

Did they definitely quack before their crops were full?
Could you share a photo of the duck?
I honestly don't know if how its quack was before because it so quiet compared to the other duck you can't hear it unless your listening for it.
I'll see if I can get a picture but all 4 look exactly the same and they stick together like glue so its hard to tell which is which.

Attachments

• 20220420_184136.jpg
    20220420_184136.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 13
How old is the duck you are concerned about? Could she be a boy duck? Their quacks are different and much quieter than the typical QUACK QUACK QUACK sound.

Also, in case you don't know, when ducks eat their food goes into their crop before it goes into their stomach and it can look very swollen and large. The crop slowly empties into the stomach. That might have been what happened. Your duck looks completely normal to me.

Is it also perhaps broody? Some of my ducks make a different quack when they are broody. My Saxony often get that hoarse voice when they get broody and all hormonal. It is that time of the year for broody ducks, and I have multiple Saxony who sound like that and all are broody. When they finally get out of that broody hormonal mood, they go back to normal loud high pitched quacking.

How old is the duck you are concerned about? Could she be a boy duck? Their quacks are different and much quieter than the typical QUACK QUACK QUACK sound.

Also, in case you don't know, when ducks eat their food goes into their crop before it goes into their stomach and it can look very swollen and large. The crop slowly empties into the stomach. That might have been what happened. Your duck looks completely normal to me.
They're only a few months old (like 2 or 3) so that may be why his voice is softer. I'm probably just a little jumpy about things getting stucknin their gizzards because I lost a goose to sour crop mid winter and they don't give you any signs that somethings wrong until its critical. So I try to jump on it as soon as I see something wrong.

Is it also perhaps broody? Some of my ducks make a different quack when they are broody. My Saxony often get that hoarse voice when they get broody and all hormonal. It is that time of the year for broody ducks, and I have multiple Saxony who sound like that and all are broody. When they finally get out of that broody hormonal mood, they go back to normal loud high pitched quacking.
I think KaleIAm got it, saying its a male. They're only like 2-3 months old so not laying yet. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom