Some advise please.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kiwichix, Jun 26, 2008.

1. kiwichix

kiwichix New Egg

Jun 26, 2008
    Hi,

I have just joined the forum in search for an answer regarding sunshine (7 year old hen).

We previously had a total of 4 hens, but sadly over the last several months, 3 have died and only sunshine is left alone. 1 had died of old age, the other had drowned and a 3 year old died of unknown reasons only a few days ago. I am now at a dilema what to do with sunshine? There is a park nearby with hens and roosters where I was thinking of taking her to live out her days. Will she be able to survive by herself with the other chickens in the park seeing she is 7 and has been raised domesticly in our backyard? I'm happy to keep her where she is, just am worried she will get lonely. We're planning on moving, so we're not planning on getting any more hens.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Where are you?
    I'm not sure that leaving the animal without a domestic setting is wise. She may indeed be lonely, but you can fill that void for her remaining time. I seriously doubt she would survive as a feral chicken. Are you sure those chickens are feral? If they have an owner he/she may be willing to take her in.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    craigslist.org & freecycle are good resources for finding a home for your hen.

Leaving a tame chicken in a park is cruel and probably illegal. She wouldn't last long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by