some bald spots on chicks- I"M WORRIED!!!!

jennifersouza

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Buritis, Rondonia
1) What type of bird , age and weight. A mixed breed chick, about 3 months old,
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Some bald spots, they look 'pale' (?)
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since we got them from our brother-in-law- he moved quickly and these little ones were alone for 5-6 weeks eating Lord knows what.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Some other chicks look a little sickly.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Eating yucky stuff....
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. All normal.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal, I think. It's hard to tell who is pooping what, but i did see one, and it was fine.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Last week we gave them an anti-microbial at the suggestion of the agriculture guy here.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? We need to treat them ourselves.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Free-range, roost at night in a cement and brick coop with wood perches.

I have some OK pics, but can't figure out how to get them up.

Last edited:
Here are the pictures I was able to snap. I hope someone can look at these and provide an opinion. Thanks for helping me figure out the upload!

104509_100_0474.jpg

104509_100_0475.jpg

104509_100_0480.jpg

They look like some kind of gamefowl? I have 3 month old Thai games, and they have the same bald patches. I think it's normal, as they aren't known to have the fluffy feathers of other chickens. I would someone else to post another opinion, though. I am not an expert on this topic.

Back
Top Bottom