Some Cheap Predator Deterent Suggestions Here

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by suzettex5, Sep 17, 2011.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Got to thinking about predators and my own system and with Halloween coming I had an idea or two....

First I have a decent fence around my pen, and I put electric fencing inside it. The electric was EXPENSIVE and it got broken soon after we put it up, so really its not too much protection.

Since then I have put an cheap AM/FM radio outside and keep it on a talk show station. I use an extension cord to it, but I could use battieries making it a bit cheaper to use. Havent had an attack in the months since I put it out there, so I think the human voices are making a difference. I only use it at night though.

Now I am thinking- in all the pop-up halloween stores there are bunches of motion activated scary things for sale (other stores too), some light up, some make noise, some just shake and rattle. They come in different sizes and prices. Best part is they are motion activated so they arent going off all the time. And they could potentially be used for a long time.

Im thinking if I put a few around the outside of the coop, and only turn them on at night (when the hens are sleeping and not gonna activate them), they may scare off any predators snooping around. They would be easy to move around and easy to keep. Could put plastic bags on them if it rains. I could put them just about anywhere since many are battery operated.

I dont know if it will work, but I thought Id share my idea and see what ya'll thought!

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Seems like a great idea just move them around every few weeks the predators will get used to them. Good luck!

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Better yet, wait until AFTER Halloween, when everything is on SALE!!!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds like a good plan.

Imp- Good luck

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    get some peafowl. Mine chase away hawks and smaller predators

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    .22LR shells are about $.03 each.

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I've seen those blinking eyes in the stores. You just reminded me I'm going to get some.[​IMG]

8. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Shells are cheap enough - it's the sleep deprivation that would be too costly for me [​IMG]. I think it's a great idea - let us know if it works!

9. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    If it were me, it would be months before I remembered that they were set up and stopped scaring the crap out of myself every time I went outside. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:My traps have been paid for many times over I sleep well they are cheap to feed and the vet bills are really low [​IMG] I sleep as much as I want after setting them they work the best for me, after I knock down the local pred population I do not see any for 3-6 months after trapping season [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by