Some confusion on my Barred Rocks (gender)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nambroth, May 12, 2011.

1. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I just got my chicks yesterday from Meyer, and two are Barred Rock pullets. I have researched all that I can on telling gender, and have read the Dominique page on visual sexing ( http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html ).

Both of my chicks have white/grey frosting on their heads that seems to indicate a cockerel to most people, but they have a dark wash on top of their legs. I ordered them as pullets from Meyer, and while I appreciate that sexing the chicks is not foolproof, I'd be very sad to find out that 2/7 chicks are roos when I ordered hens.
    I am wondering if this is just a case of goofy genetics and 'hatchery quality'? I honestly don't mind what they look like as long as they are healthy hens, I have no intentions of showing them. They are pets. [​IMG]

Opinions? I have no intention of re-homing them unless there are 2 roos but even then I will wait till it's a sure thing (crowing). I was just curious. [​IMG]
    Thank you kindly!

These chicks are 3 days old.

Barred Rock #1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I ordered 2 BR's from Meyers in March and both look Exactly like yours and both are definetly pullets, so you've got 2 girls too!

Here is one of ours at about 6 days.
    [​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My Dominique has a spread out dot like that and I was very worried about her being a him (especially when she got tall before the EEs!) but as her feathers are filling in, she's looking very girly.

Honestly, I don't think the dot ID is as exact a science as some people make it out to be.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Thank you both very much for your input! I appreciate it so much! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by