Some confusion on my Barred Rocks (gender)

Nambroth

Fud Lady
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Western NY
My Coop
My Coop
I just got my chicks yesterday from Meyer, and two are Barred Rock pullets. I have researched all that I can on telling gender, and have read the Dominique page on visual sexing ( http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html ).

Both of my chicks have white/grey frosting on their heads that seems to indicate a cockerel to most people, but they have a dark wash on top of their legs. I ordered them as pullets from Meyer, and while I appreciate that sexing the chicks is not foolproof, I'd be very sad to find out that 2/7 chicks are roos when I ordered hens.
I am wondering if this is just a case of goofy genetics and 'hatchery quality'? I honestly don't mind what they look like as long as they are healthy hens, I have no intentions of showing them. They are pets.
smile.png

Opinions? I have no intention of re-homing them unless there are 2 roos but even then I will wait till it's a sure thing (crowing). I was just curious.
smile.png

Thank you kindly!

These chicks are 3 days old.

Barred Rock #1

barred%20rock%201%203day.jpg

barred%20rock%201%20head.jpg

barred%20rock1%20feet.jpg

Barred Rock #2
barred%20rock%202%203day.jpg

barred%20rock%202%20head.jpg

barred%20rock%202%20legs.jpg

My Dominique has a spread out dot like that and I was very worried about her being a him (especially when she got tall before the EEs!) but as her feathers are filling in, she's looking very girly.

Honestly, I don't think the dot ID is as exact a science as some people make it out to be.

Back
Top Bottom