Some critter got 10 of my birds this week!

Given you write that a chicken was killed on your porch i take it your chickens are free range (?)
Automatic doors really aren't suitable for free range chicken keeping. They are okay I suppose in a secure run.
I'm at the coops every evening and every morning. Fortunately in one way, many of the chickens here will go up a tree at dusk and that gives them some protection from ground predators. It also means I have to call them down each evening and count them into their coop before I lock them in.
So, my advice is to accept you need to be there every evening to make sure your chickens get into their coop/s at night and then lock them in.

So sorry for your losses!
Right now your birds need to be locked in a safe coop and run!!! Your fox will return until the chickens are all dead, or until you or a neighbor shoot him. It might be possible to live trap and then shoot, but foxes are difficult to trap.
Worn any neighbors within at least a half mile who have birds!!!
This is why I'll never have an automatic coop door, because it's best to go out there, make sure every bird is inside, and no varmits are also in the coop. Or, don't free range, especially if you can't get out there to close them in at night.
Mary

So sorry for your losses. :hugs

Though there is the expectation of predator risks when free ranging, a persistent predator needs to be dealt with as quickly as possible. I would want to keep my birds safely confined until I have dealt with the predator in a permanent way. Bait, trap, and shoot the chicken killer before letting your birds range again, or stop free ranging and build a nice, big, super secure run for your girls.

Sorry for the losses.

I'd be going over the coop and run with a fine toothed comb to plug up any weak spots. If there are places large enough for the chickens to get out, there are holes big enough for something to get in. You may also want to consider keeping the flock confined to a run for a while.
:goodpost:

I don't thinks so. I am going to change the batteries today. My grandpa saw a fox in his shed (he lives next door) so im pretty sur that's what is getting them. Is it illegal to shoot a fox in Indiana?

Indiana DNR site says you require a hunting license and to trap an additional licence. these are very cheap. If you don't live in downtown Indy or something call them up and ask if they care or enforce these laws in ag areas. In NC trapping, shooting, or otherwise killing predators killing poultry is not on our DNR's radar. They issue permits to kill other destructive animals on request.

Usually DNR is overly helpful in this situation and will not only help you follow the law but recommend where to buy traps, what to bait them with, and if you are rural and they are bored may set it all up for you. Shooting works when you see an animal, traps work 24/7.

Do be sure to let DNR know if you or your neighbors have small dogs that roam, some traps that kill fox and coyote can get dogs as bycatch. don't use conibear 330's if you have other animals running around (cats, dogs, etc). Sorry about your loss.

EDIT: consider a electric fence around the chicken area, mine has discouraged a few problem animals.

In many places where livestock is concerned, it's not illegal to shoot a predator praying on your livestock.
If you have a game camera you can put up you will find out what it is that killed your birds because it will be back as long as it has killed and possibly where the breach was. I have several game cameras on my property and hardly a night goes by without at least one of the cameras getting a predator on it.
Here is a video of a coyote running around my grow-out coop and pen.
A fox that comes most every night.
IMAG00011520219 03.jpg

In many places where livestock is concerned, it's not illegal to shoot a predator praying on your livestock.
If you have a game camera you can put up you will find out what it is that killed your birds because it will be back as long as it has killed and possibly where the breach was. I have several game cameras on my property and hardly a night goes by without at least one of the cameras getting a predator on it.
Here is a video of a coyote running around my grow-out coop and pen.
A fox that comes most every night.
View attachment 1636225
I see your girls high tailing it for the coop too.

Back
Top Bottom