Some duck questions from a beginner.

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I have googled a couple of these questions and I seem to get such mixed reactions I don't know what to think.. so I thought I'd get info directly from people who have ducks as pets themselves.

1) Can ducks inter-mingle with chickens either in the coop or free range or is it best to keep the birds separate?

2) What kind of essentials do I need for my ducks' habitat. I see that they need some type of pond but what about housing? Do I need to create a coop for them? (We do have predators where I live)

3) What's to keep the ducks from flying away?

4) How often do ducks lay eggs in comparison to chickens?

Thank you for your time.

Sorry you haven't received an answer yet. All your questions can be answered here at BYC. My suggestion is to use BYC not google because there is much better information here. Just type your subject in the search box and you will fly into the wonderful world of Duckies.

My quick answers to your four questions:
1 - Yes but ducks are messy and will make your chicken coup into a mud puddle.
2- Do some searching in the duck section of BYC. Yes they need protection from predators.
3- Duck run with top. Penning or clipping wings - More searching
4 - I can only answer for Muscovys. Girls lay 2-3 time a year from 15-30 + eggs between spring and fall.

Hope this helps. Keep surfing BYC and all your questions will be answered.
welcome-byc.gif

Hi!

2,3, and 4 depend on the breed of duck. Do you already have some, or are you still in the planning stage?

Do everything you can to protect them from predators - they are quite vulnerable.

And searching the duck forum turns up all kinds of wonderful information!

For 1, many people mix them, but you do need to make modifications to suit both, such as chicken water where the ducks cannot get at it, shelter to keep the roosting chickens from pooping on the ducks who are ground nesters, that kind of thing.

Oh, and it's best not to give ducks water and feed where they sleep. They do tend to party.

thank you guys for the responses. yeah I have been reading the duck forums and gotten way better info here. I don't have any ducks yet, this was my first year doing poultry and I currently have 13 chickens. I was just kind of planning for next year, so far I want to make a cage for quail and possibly will make a whole separate area in my yard for ducks. But it's all speculative at this point.. chickens this year.. we'll see what the people I live with think about adding quail and ducks next year. fingers crossed!

I can add my two cents.

Ducks dont need as much protection from the elements as chickens do- they need to be able to get out of the wind, A lean-to works, but will not help with predators. They need a secure run if they do not have a secure house.

Ducks can live with chickens but they are messier messier messier and also, the males will mate with your chickens- if they decide to. AND they can cause serious damage to those hens that they decide to mate with. Anatomically, a hen is designed much different than a duck.

Clipping their wings after each molt prevents them from flying away- unless you choose a non-flying breed.

Egg production varies with ducks, not as prolific as chickens in most breeds.

Good luck- ducks are worth the extra effort- and more comical to watch

1. I wintered the ducks with the chickens. Water will become an issue if you don't ponder your situation and be prepared to reevaluate as needed- I think through the winter I changed spots three times. Right now I have ducks in the growing out pen and really dislike them on the dirt (mud) floor. Otherwise I am enjoying them together, I have not seen any picking between the two.

2. A pond is not needed but your ducks will be happier with a swimming spot, mine don't get to swim everyday. Water, food and I would still have shelter for them. I have heard a dog house is good.

3. Fences, or depending on the breed, three of my breeds don't fly... And you could clip wings but they are quite fun to watch flying.

4. My Peking, WH have been really laying, the mallards and Rouen are just starting. Really depends on the breed.

Back
Top Bottom