Some eggs developing slower than others - is this possible?

quiltnchik

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Virginia
I got 12 EE eggs shipped from another BYC'er and set them on the 21st. On day 6 I pulled 4 of them - 2 were clear and 2 had blood rings - and the rest were all developing. I candled again tonight (day 9) and the remainder are still developing, but it looks like I may have some (2) that are in the early stages of development, while the other 6 are further along. Is this possible, or will I end up losing the two "late bloomers?" They all definitely have veins, but the 2 "slow pokes" look like they have "earlier" veining than the others...
hu.gif

I've had 'slow' eggs before, and most catch up, being shipped can be the problem, i've found that they less you handle them the better. shipped eggs can be more fragile that your own, so the less giggling the better

Quote:
Yeah, tonight is the last time I'll candle. I wasn't going to candle again after day 6, but wanted to check on the one porous egg to make sure it was still developing and not getting ready to explode, so figured I'd peek at all of them while I was already "in" the 'bator. I have 9 more days before they're put in the hatcher, so whatever happens now will just have to happen. Thanks for the info!
frow.gif

Still air or forced? While I have had some shipped eggs be slower you always have to wonder if you have a cool spot. It's less likely in the forced air small bators but it happens.

If it happened routinely you'd think cold spot and rotate eggs in their placement in the incubator.

Luck with them and yes, less candling - it involves a lot of manipulation they'd do better without. I've even gone as far as leaving mine upright in the carton for extra days to help set aircells in badly disturbed eggs.

Back
Top Bottom