Some help with breed please

Production Reds are generic red birds that don't really meet the breed standard for either Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires. Most hatchery RIR and New Hampshires fall into the Production Red category. When you breed a Production Red to a Production Red, you get more Production Reds.
Red sexlinks are a cross of a silver-base color hen and a red/gold-base color rooster. Most hatcheries use Production Reds for the red rooster part of the equation. The cross breeding produces chicks that can be sexed by down color, at hatch. Males and females feather out differently, as well. However, not every 'breeder' understands the genetics behind what makes the sexlilnking work. And many people don't realize that they are 'mixed' breeds and that they don't breed true. When you breed a red sexlink rooster with a red sexlink hen, you do not get more red sexlinks. The results look like the birds you have; birds that LOOK like red sexlink pullets, but are not sexable by coloring.

I thought some might like an updated picture of the one bird that proved to be a pullet. The others along with four more ended up in my freezer.

At least the one pullet I did end up is laying well and has a disposition I am comfortable around. Anyway, here is the picture.

Just an update, she is still doing well. I recently put two of her eggs in the incubator.

One has not pipped yet the other has hatched. The rooster is a Welsummer.

15274466991791737341632.jpg

Back
Top Bottom