some help with identification

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by willowtreeaviary, Oct 11, 2010.

1. willowtreeaviary

willowtreeaviary Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Hi, all! I would appreciate your help with the following:

Is the following a brown Cayuga (if there even is such a thing), a Buff Orpington duck, or a Campbell? I simply assumed this duck was a brown Cayuga, but then I was reading a profile of the Cayuga, which indicated that breed comes only in the one plumage.

[​IMG]

Are the two ducks in front in the following pic Cayugas or another breed?

[​IMG]

Thanks, Kerry

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cayugas only come in black. [​IMG]

The first looks like a Khaki Campbell. The second two, I'm not sure on. They sort of look like Pied Mallards or something.

3. willowtreeaviary

willowtreeaviary Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Thanks, Illia -- I really appreciate that. Do Mallards stand upright like that, though? As you can tell, I'm a novice with regard to ducks. Do you happen to know if Cayugas can have any sort of splotches of white on them? I ask, because two of my ducks that were sold to me as Cayugas each have a splotch of white on their respective breasts -- one just a small star pattern, the other just about her entire breast is white. Otherwise, they both possess the typical Cayuga plumage. Looking at the two pictures of the Buff Orpington and the Campbell closely side-by-side, I agree with you that that's a khaki Campbell that I have. Thanks again, Kerry

4. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Quote:Yes Cayuga's can have white on their chests. Cayuga's also have a tendency to "white out" as they get older.

5. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    AllCoop'dUp :

Quote:Yes Cayuga's can have white on their chests. Cayuga's also have a tendency to "white out" as they get older.

My Cayugas never got more white as they got older, unlike my old East Indies that turn almost all white.

Some really sucky Cayuga's will have a few white feathers here or there, under the wings sometimes there can be almost a silver laced pattern in some of them, which you should not breed for. If they have a white bib they are most likely a Blue Swedish wich 1 in 4 or so are black in color (in most birds Blue & Splash come from the same gene which is a diluted Black, if the offspring is missing the dilute gene you will get a Black)

Though rare Cayugas also come in Blue & Splash.

The 2 Fawn & White Duck in the last pic almost look like Anconas, But I'v never seen them in Fawn before, though I have heard of it, Who knows??​

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:My Cayugas never got more white as they got older, unlike my old East Indies that turn almost all white.

Some really sucky Cayuga's will have a few white feathers here or there, under the wings sometimes there can be almost a silver laced pattern in some of them, which you should not breed for. If they have a white bib they are most likely a Blue Swedish wich 1 in 4 or so are black in color (in most birds Blue & Splash come from the same gene which is a diluted Black, if the offspring is missing the dilute gene you will get a Black)

I believe the proper thing to say is that hatchery quality Cayugas have white. Naturally one should not, but I've seen countless Cayugas from a hatchery have a giant white blob or diamond on their chest.

7. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    Quote:My Cayugas never got more white as they got older, unlike my old East Indies that turn almost all white.

I believe the proper thing to say is that hatchery quality Cayugas have white. Naturally one should not, but I've seen countless Cayugas from a hatchery have a giant white blob or diamond on their chest.

Thank you for pointing out my wording, I didn't mean for it to come across as rude as it did.
    I am sorry for not explaining what I ment in a clearer & kinder fashion. [​IMG]

8. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    1st pic: I see a Pekin, a Black Swedish, and a Hatchery grade Khaki Campbell

2nd pic: Looks like 2 Cayugas (the Green-ish ones) and 2 Hatchery Quality Fawn and White Runners....lol I've seen worse F&W Runners....

Have fun with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by