some help with identification

willowtreeaviary

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 16, 2010
Hi, all! I would appreciate your help with the following:

Is the following a brown Cayuga (if there even is such a thing), a Buff Orpington duck, or a Campbell? I simply assumed this duck was a brown Cayuga, but then I was reading a profile of the Cayuga, which indicated that breed comes only in the one plumage.

57648_jsw_dscn4064_edited.jpg

Are the two ducks in front in the following pic Cayugas or another breed?

57648_jsw_dscn4035.jpg

Thanks, Kerry

Last edited:
Cayugas only come in black.
smile.png

The first looks like a Khaki Campbell. The second two, I'm not sure on. They sort of look like Pied Mallards or something.

Thanks, Illia -- I really appreciate that. Do Mallards stand upright like that, though? As you can tell, I'm a novice with regard to ducks. Do you happen to know if Cayugas can have any sort of splotches of white on them? I ask, because two of my ducks that were sold to me as Cayugas each have a splotch of white on their respective breasts -- one just a small star pattern, the other just about her entire breast is white. Otherwise, they both possess the typical Cayuga plumage. Looking at the two pictures of the Buff Orpington and the Campbell closely side-by-side, I agree with you that that's a khaki Campbell that I have. Thanks again, Kerry

AllCoop'dUp :

Quote:
Yes Cayuga's can have white on their chests. Cayuga's also have a tendency to "white out" as they get older.

My Cayugas never got more white as they got older, unlike my old East Indies that turn almost all white.

Some really sucky Cayuga's will have a few white feathers here or there, under the wings sometimes there can be almost a silver laced pattern in some of them, which you should not breed for. If they have a white bib they are most likely a Blue Swedish wich 1 in 4 or so are black in color (in most birds Blue & Splash come from the same gene which is a diluted Black, if the offspring is missing the dilute gene you will get a Black)

Though rare Cayugas also come in Blue & Splash.

The 2 Fawn & White Duck in the last pic almost look like Anconas, But I'v never seen them in Fawn before, though I have heard of it, Who knows??​

Quote:
My Cayugas never got more white as they got older, unlike my old East Indies that turn almost all white.

Some really sucky Cayuga's will have a few white feathers here or there, under the wings sometimes there can be almost a silver laced pattern in some of them, which you should not breed for. If they have a white bib they are most likely a Blue Swedish wich 1 in 4 or so are black in color (in most birds Blue & Splash come from the same gene which is a diluted Black, if the offspring is missing the dilute gene you will get a Black)

I believe the proper thing to say is that hatchery quality Cayugas have white. Naturally one should not, but I've seen countless Cayugas from a hatchery have a giant white blob or diamond on their chest.

Quote:

I believe the proper thing to say is that hatchery quality Cayugas have white. Naturally one should not, but I've seen countless Cayugas from a hatchery have a giant white blob or diamond on their chest.

Thank you for pointing out my wording, I didn't mean for it to come across as rude as it did.
I am sorry for not explaining what I ment in a clearer & kinder fashion.
hmm.png

1st pic: I see a Pekin, a Black Swedish, and a Hatchery grade Khaki Campbell

2nd pic: Looks like 2 Cayugas (the Green-ish ones) and 2 Hatchery Quality Fawn and White Runners....lol I've seen worse F&W Runners....

Have fun with them!

Back
Top Bottom