Some help with these, please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TennesseeTruly, Jun 19, 2009.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Okay now that I found out that my Polish "hen" is a roo (lol), I need some help. I feel silly. I mean I've only been involved with chickens since March but UGH!

This is one of my Polish roos or is it a hen. It as born May 3rd. Also what color?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was also born May 3rd. He/she is all black.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The helper is my grandson,Dillon. Thank you Dillon for being such a good helper!

Laurie

2. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    From these pictures, they both look like pullets to me. I see no wattles or red above the beaks. From what I understand, you have to mix colors to get a black Polish. The first one looks to me like a silver laced crossed with some other color. I am definitely no expert, but I have Polish chicks and have been reading a lot about them because I have more on the way.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  3. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    1st one is a pullet for sure (justino has one just like it) and I think she looks like a silver laced one. and the second Im not sure but maybe a roo?

4. The first is a Silver Laced Polish, for sure. Quality and lacing isn't so hot but that is a pure Silver Laced. I can't help with gender. Ironicaly, my Silver Laced was sexed as a hen and is now showing signs of being a male. Here's a few pictures of 'him' when 'he' was 6 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now 'his' crest feathers droop downward and he is showing a rooish attitude. Sadly, my camara isn't working very well right now so I'm not able to get pics. He is 9 weeks old right now, though.

The second is a Self Black. The color isn't recognized yet but some breeders are currently working on it. In the first picture, I can hint some wattle. Oh, and his crest is very roo-like. Wirey and droopy. That's most likely a roo. As for the Silver Laced, I'm undecided. You'll have to wait and see.

Cute kid, too! [​IMG]

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Thanks!! I thought the one that is Silver laced was a roo. He was named Elvis and Elvis has DEFINITELY left the building, I think. LOL

I also thought the black one was a roo. So far Gizmo is safe!

My Red one I thought was a hen but now I know Polly is Paulie.

Thanks Polish Princess and others. My grandson thanks you too. He adores our Polish chickens!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: