some hens laying and some ain't ... what's up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jwd0416, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jwd0416

jwd0416 New Egg

Jan 11, 2009
    I have 14 RIR hens and 1 Americana Rooster. All of the hens are the same age. (About 6 months old). I am getting three eggs per day. Have some just not started laying yet? I am feeding them laying pellets. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks![​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It is totally normal for some pullets (under 1 year old) and hens (1 year old and older) to not all lay at the same time or to even begin laying at the same time when they first begin laying.

I have a mixed flock of pullets and hens and some days the younger girls give me 4 - 5 eggs, other days it's the hens that seem to do all the laying.

I'm not sure where you are located but here in TN, the weather has been crazy...50's one day and 20's the next. It really has our layers confused on whether or not they should even lay any eggs.

I hope this helps!

Dawn

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have 16 hens, all one breed. Some of my hens started laying in the 19 tp 20 week range, others started later. Two that just started laying this past week @ 36 weeks.
    Just like humans, they're individuals and will lay when mature enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by