Some lessons learned, some more to learn, second hatching on the way

So for some background information we started of with a 50/50 mix off Black Austrolop and Rhode Island Red chickens.

We realized that we don't like the Austrolop's (always broody, don't free range as well as the Rhode Island Reds etc) so took 24 eggs that we thought were all Rhode Island Red to incubate. Ended up having some not make it, 6 roos', a few get eaten along the way but ended up with 2 Rhode Island Red/ Austrolop Cross and a decent number of Rhode Island Red hens.

Fast forward a bit and we now have a local restaurant purchasing all the eggs we can provide at retail prices so decided we are going to hatch some more. Same plan as last time, focusing on getting only Rhode Island Reds.

We did find that the roos were pretty disruptive to the flock (super noticeable when we culled them) and I thought this would be a great opportunity to sexing the younglings so I can remove the potential roos as early as possible.

Been looking online and have not seen a whole lot of super useful guidance on this so thought I would reach out to see if any one had suggestions on sexing Rhode Island Red hens/ roos.

Whats the best age/ method to do this? I will be incubating 24 eggs again like we did last time.

Thanks in advance

About sexing chicks, I have no idea. I just wanted to add that in my experience, the RIR roosters are more aggressive, as you noticed in the cockerels. It doesn't get better. They're great protectors, though. Just be very picky which 'roos you keep based on good behavior.

Whats the best age/ method to do this?
I know of no scientific ways to sex RIR chicks at hatch. Some people will clain they have a way but as far as I'm concerned those rely on magic and only work 50% of the time, just like flipping a coin. There are certain crosses you can make and tell sex at hatch but RIR's are not crosses.

Somewhere around 5 to 6 weeks of age certain differences should start showing up. Many of these are not definitive but can give a strong clue. The males often have bigger combs and wattles. Pullets very seldom have wattles at this age. A bright red comb or wattles at this age is almost certainly a boy. The boys typically have heavier and longer legs. Boys often have an upright posture where the girls are more stooped. Sometimes conformation (body shape) can be a strong clue. You get better with experience, it can be art as much as science.

Some boys are slow developers. They don't show these signs as early as others. Usually I find it is easier to say that a certain one is a boy than to say for sure it is a girl.

Attitude can be a clue. Cockerels are usually bolder and more curious than the girls. That's a trap that people get into at the feed stores. When you are selecting your chicks the boys often come out to greet you while the girls are more likely to hang in the back. You think the boys are more friendly so you choose them then come on this forum and complain how the feed stores mostly have boys.

Some breeds are harder to sex than others. Silkies are notoriously hard. Chicks with rose or pea combs or feathered legs can be rough. Poofy hairdos don't help. RIR's don't have any of that so are usually pretty easy.

At around 3 to four months cockerels usually develop pointy saddle and hackle feathers, but hopefully you can do OK at 5 weeks.

Thanks for the reply. Yea I’m pretty good at identifying when they are older. Trying to get a head start in thinning the herd so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom