Some More Advice on my Broody Hen

Malpower

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Kentfield, California
I wrote some weeks ago about my young Brahma Baby who had gone broody and was setting on and attempting to hatch some wooden eggs. For a number of reasons my plan to find a wire cage for her to try to break the broodiness didn't work out before I had to leave town -- so we defaulted to just going with her broodiness, but since she didn't seem to be coming out of the coop on her own we have "airlifted" her in the nesting box out of the coop (up through raisable roof) once a day -- I wait until other hens have laid their eggs for the day and then around Noon to 2 pm Baby is brought out of the coop, entrance is closed off, and she hangs out eating, drinking, pooping and dust bathing until I open the coop again. People caring for hens while I was gone had no problem doing this and I've become used to the daily procedure. My questions are:

Is there anything wrong with doing this and just letting her go through the process on the wooden egg?

Is there anything wrong with removing her for 4 to 6 hours a day to make sure she eats and drinks? Or should I let her back into the coop sooner, when she starts her clucking and whining at the door? She comes and kind of leads me to the coop and appears to be cajoling me into opening up the door. It's pretty clear that after an hour or two she wants back in to sit on that wooden egg.

Is there any specific period of time that this broodiness will continue? I've noticed mention of 21 days, but is this just an average? It's 21 days today and I must admit that it would be nice for things to return to normal.

And is there any specific schedule telling when she might become broody once again or is it a whim of the hormones? I assume I can expect her to continue doing this, right? And I suppose there are chances of the other hens becoming broody too -- is this correct? Are some breeds more prone than others? I've got one NHRed and two that are probably Easter Eggers.

I don't want chicks (no room or facility right now) or I'd certainly consider buying some fertile eggs to put under her.

As it is, she moves from nesting box to nesting box sometimes, tending to an egg here and another there (I leave one wooden egg in each as other hens appear to not know what to do if there isn't one egg in the box -- I've tried taking them all out and the girls have laid out in the yard) -- and she has also managed to get eggs from other nests all into one box -- boxes are on floor of coop and I assume she must push them along somehow but it couldn't be easy and sort of amazes me.

I don't really mind the broodiness but just want to make sure that how I'm handling it is appropriate and not doing some damage in some way. One nice outcome has been that in getting her out of the coop daily, I've been able to hold her and pet her, and she isn't so skittish and shy with me now, while still scared of others. I take real advantage of this and hold her on my lap when I can. She's a pretty, sweet, big hunk of a hen!
smile.png

I can't answer your questions, but I have a broody hen that's driving me crazy, too. Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one!
frow.gif

If you are not going to let her hatch eggs, I would work on breaking the broodiness. I've had a broody that was broody for six weeks - and probably still would be today if I hadn't finally given in and let her hatch some eggs. Their bodies do go through changes while they are broody, and while I don't have any scientific facts to back it, I just don't think it's good to let them stay broody for an extended period of time. It takes 21 days to hatch eggs, but they can stay broody for a LONG time if they don't hatch eggs.

If you can close off the coop after everyone has laid, I would do that and leave it closed until bed time. And then make sure she isn't in the nest box at night - when it's dark, move her to a roost. I'd also remove those fake eggs until she's over this - and anytime you catch her in a nest, remove her. The wire cage seems to work to break a broody, by all accounts. I've only broken one and I didn't use a wire cage. I just removed her from the nest and made sure eggs never sat for very long for her to get on them. I also removed all the fake eggs. I broke her within a week - but I've had several that I never could break and I ended up letting them hatch out eggs. In fact, I've got two in the coop right now! These are the 7th broodies this year for me.

I don't think your hen is in danger - but honestly, if you're not going to let her hatch eggs, I'd work on breaking her so she can get back to being a "normal" hen - and you can start getting eggs from her!

Let us know what you decide to do!

Penny

Quote:
Thanks for the company!
big_smile.png

Are you doing anything specific with your broody hen or just going with the flow? Perhaps you might also be interested in answers to some of my questions -- I just want to do the right thing!

Just wondering, when it's said that one 'broke' a hen from broodiness and not others, how do you know the hen that you think you 'broke' simply went un-broody? I've had hens go so long, I've finally relented and placed eggs under them. Then again, I've had hens go broody and give up half way through the hatch.

Some breeds just tend to go broody more than others. It is why the 'production' breeds were developed to rarely go broody. Having broody chickens when you have no interest in hatching chicks can be a pain (and less egg production).

Quote:
Thanks for the company!
big_smile.png

Are you doing anything specific with your broody hen or just going with the flow? Perhaps you might also be interested in answers to some of my questions -- I just want to do the right thing!

Even when I took her out of the coop and made her stay in the yard, she still didn't act right. She seemed really ticked off at me and just walked around making weird noises. I finally gave up and put 6 eggs under her today. I think it's too hot to hatch eggs here, 119 and very humid today, but I guess I turned her into a sort of science project. Will the eggs hatch, hard boil, or will she herself succumb to the heat? The reason I chose not to put her in a cage and try to break the broodiness is because it is so incredibly hot here, and I was worried that the stress of being in the cage and away from the nest, coupled with the extreme heat, would just be too much for her. If she dies on the nest, at least she was happy there. I hope she does well, and I hope the eggs hatch, but I'm in unknown territory here.

If you decide to put eggs under yours, we can compare notes along the way!

Quote:
I don't know.
hide.gif

All I know is mine has been broody more than a month and shows no signs of quitting!

When my cochin went broody, I simply kept removing the eggs every day until she gave up. She wasn't too happy with me but eventually gave up sitting on the nest.

Quote:
I've been doing this, but she'll even sit there on nothing, acting like she has a dozen eggs under her! She's REALLY broody.
barnie.gif

Well, at 119 and high humidity you have me beat on conditions, it is only 115 here in phoenix...and we think we have high humidity if is it over 30% or so. As for company, count me among the...not sure what to do crowd. I am resistant to putting her in a cage...and I hadn't even thought of the heat plus cage stress factor. Oh dear. Anyway, she happily sits on the golf balls. It is fun to hold her more often, as I take her out at least once a day. The other broody one gave up after being taken out multiple times for several days. This one just keeps at it....and if I take out the golf balls...well then the eggs from the other hens start showing up in strange places.

It is nice to know I am not the only one....

Back
Top Bottom