1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

some more questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by slugmar, Mar 20, 2007.

1. slugmar

slugmar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Well i got my 9 RiR about 1 week ago and there one that likes to stay by herself and dustbathe in the food dish then the other chicks peck the food off her think one might have hit her right below the eye and caused it to bleed but she is fine. Is this normal ?

Also iam going to put about 5 turkeys that will be part of the family till tday and cday I will free range once they learn were there food is and to come home in the evenings. they should be alright toghter ?

Any one know how to get my chickens eggs qualified as organic ?

The last thing is has any one ever thought of setting up a live chat for byc like on MIRC ( http://www.mirc.com/ ) or anthor chat programm these would be a great way to chalt to each other in the evenings. ?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Your first paragraph made me laugh. When I throw scratch out to my girls, some inevitably falls onto backs, and the others will gently pick the food off. It sounds like one of the chicks misjudged and pecked a bit too hard. Keljonma is right, though, you should always isolate any bird that is injured. Chickens can be alarmingly aggressive to each other if they know that one is weak, and can do a great deal of damage or even kill in a short period of time.
    I don't know anything about your other questions - sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by