Some nest advice that I got here

I think most recycle centers are super nice if you give them a call and ask.

While my feed bags say recycle on them my center isn't able to take them. Mine are a plastic type.

I like having other uses for them.
I made some into totes to bring in produce from the garden. Now that we are allowed to bring our own bags to the stores again I will make a few with better handles for that.

I think most recycle centers are super nice if you give them a call and ask.

While my feed bags say recycle on them my center isn't able to take them. Mine are a plastic type.

I like having other uses for them.
I made some into totes to bring in produce from the garden. Now that we are allowed to bring our own bags to the stores again I will make a few with better handles for that.
Chicken people amaze me with their resourcefulness.

I use empty feed bags, also good. We once had pieces of old very dense foam sheeting, which also worked well. Not cleanable though, and cardboard or feed bags are disposable, so better choices.
I also use empty feed bags for my nest boxes, though I hang onto mine for gardening use too - I can store dried leaves for composting "browns" throughout the year, pack them with invasive plant waste for the trash as we can't put those in the yard waste bin, cut 'em open and use them as an easy clean-up liner when I'm repotting seedlings/plants, etc.

Didn't know that! They are paper so maybe okay?! And where I recycle, no sorting is necessary, the company does it all.
Mary
Paper ones may be OK......like someone else said, ask your recycler.
I thought you used Purina Flock Raiser which comes in plastic bags.

With some new layer coming on :fl (any month now, ha ha), I'm going to line the nest boxes with feed bags. What a great idea!

Meijers has info posted by their bag recycling bin, about what kinds of plastic film are allowed. WAAY more than just the bags!

Someone else made the comment that feed bags fit over tomato cages, for if you are threatened with a late frost.

And we can recycle cardboard, but the feed bags, not so much. I toss them into recycling, but they might not actually fit any of their categories at the recycling center.
Mary
I re-use feed bags for trash collecting in the shed. I've used them as nest box "curtains". I've also made some windbreaks with them. Of course it doesn't last long, but easy enough to do.
How about making a chicken feed bag purse? 😁

1634472596087.png

I use empty feed bags, also good. We once had pieces of old very dense foam sheeting, which also worked well. Not cleanable though, and cardboard or feed bags are disposable, so better choices.
Chickens can make such a mess!
Mary

I'm liking this a lot with so many new layers in my flock.

They're kicking the bedding out despite the nice lips on the boxes but with the folded bags in their the eggs still have some padding under them.

Back
Top Bottom