Some notes on apple cider vinegar (and when to use baking soda instead)...

You know, I'm definitely not an expert, but I wouldn't think that it would hurt. They are completely different substances, and not like you would get a reaction like you would with ACV and baking soda. You could always do two different feeders- one with baking soda the other with the electrolytes. I have heard that you shouldn't use electrolytes for longer than a week at a time due to the high sodium. Let me do some research and I'll get back to you. My direct email is [email protected]

Let me see what I can come up with!
Thanks!

Thanks. I think I'd rather be safe than sorry. They need the electrolytes when it's 110-120 degrees on daily basis. I have never heard that they can only be on it for a week. I give them a pretty low dose formulated for chickens with probiotics and vitamins added. I give it to them for 6 hours a day and plain water the rest of the day. So I think that their fine. Their egg shells are looking better so I don't think I'll do the baking soda. But it's good to know for the future.

Thanks. I think I'd rather be safe than sorry. They need the electrolytes when it's 110-120 degrees on daily basis. I have never heard that they can only be on it for a week. I give them a pretty low dose formulated for chickens with probiotics and vitamins added. I give it to them for 6 hours a day and plain water the rest of the day. So I think that their fine. Their egg shells are looking better so I don't think I'll do the baking soda. But it's good to know for the future.

That sounds completely reasonable to me! And like you, I do feel like they need the electrolytes in this terrible heat!

Wow! Thanks for sharing that valuable information! I greatly appreciate it!

You're very welcome!
1f60a.png

Yes, most definitely! I totally agree.
smile.png
If ones chickens are healthy and their droppings look normal, other than providing a nutritious diet and clean, fresh water on a daily basis, there's no need to add anything additional.

Loose stools during times of extreme heat could indicate a pH imbalance, in which case, adding an electrolyte would be beneficial. From what I've read, it should only be give for around six hours a day and for no more than a week, and should never be given to a chicken that is perfectly healthy with normal stool or it could cause imbalance in a bird that isn't out of whack to begin with.

The only time ACV would be indicated is during times of stress or illness to maintain a low crop pH in an effort to minimize pathogens entering its system (not that this is a fool-proof way of preventing a bird from getting sick, but it may help). Additionally, the only time baking soda would be indicated is during times of heat stress in order to maintain calcium levels that are reduced by excess respiration. I haven't read anything about contraindications when it comes to baking soda and electrolytes being given at the same time, but I'd be inclined to only use one or the other based on the condition of the bird and what I'm trying to achieve. Baking soda will only replace depleted calcium, but if my bird seems dehydrated or develops runny stool and isn't obviously ill, my first concern would be to get pH levels back in check. I'd provide an electrolyte supplement and watch for symptoms to clear up or others to develop which may indicate the onset of disease. The lay rate or shell thickness would not be my main concern if my chicken were displaying symptoms of stress of some kind.

To me, if a bird is healthy in every way, has normal stool, isn't being effected by a stressful situation or isn't ill, one need not do a thing but feed them a healthy diet and give them plain, fresh drinking water daily.

Last edited:
Excuse me if I deviate a bit from the topic. But I myself have been using apple cider vinegar and baking soda together and owing to the fact that both have opposite pH levels, it makes all the more sense to consume them together. ACV without dilution can severely affect your oral health, in particular, your teeth.

This mixture is known to be a good source of hydration, which makes it particularly effective for joint pain and improved skin. You guys can check more on benefits of this combination here: https://www.foodsforbetterhealth.com/apple-cider-vinegar-baking-soda-health-benefits-28051

Back
Top Bottom