Some observations on my pre-laying pullets...

mrsgibber

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Bolton, CT
I have 18 1/2 week old RSL, BSL and EE. One of my RSL is very bright large comb & wattles. She's also showing interest in a nest. Another of my RSL has a nice comb and wattles yet not nearly as large or red as the others.

My girls have never been keen on being held or pet but recently I've notice that my BSL is very easy to catch these days and my RSL stalks me...I swear, everywhere I go she's on my heels making that brrrrrrr....acccc...kkkk noise. She's also sort of letting me pet her rather than running like mad as soon as I move a hand to her.

Are any of these signs they are getting ready to lay...I mean I know that they are but just wondering if these are common changes in behavior.

Yep! Sounds like any day now!
thumbsup.gif
Have they started squatting when you reach for them, yet?

Shelly

Ya it seems like the RSL is doing a partial squat when I reach to pet her and she lets me stroke her back....I couldn't get near her to save my life before now. I also hear the egg song (practice) the other night so I know I'm close....oooohhhh can't wait.

I have heard that the sex-links tend to lay a little earlier than the standard breeds. My sex-link isn't showing any interest, and she is older than yours.
smack.gif
Silly bird! Doesn't she know she is on a schedule??
lau.gif

I'd get your nest box ready. She'll probably be checking it out really soon!

Shelly

Quote:
She has been actually. I've caught her in it a few times. I have some wooden eggs in there and plenty of shavings so now all I need is the real eggs!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom