Some odd behavioral changes - possibly egg bound?

mac853

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
Hi everyone, we have a chicken who is 2 years old and has lost a lot of tail feathers recently, and in the last two weeks, has become on-and-off lethargic and low activity. She used to be very active, feisty, and always chasing food, but now she has seemed to lost interest. Her back feathers also look weird (pictures included). We possibly think she is egg bound but it seems unlikely because the behaviors she exhibits are different from what egg bound behaviors should be. She's still eating occasionally and following us around so we are not sure. Any suggestions and things to try?

Attachments

• tempImageVG0I1g.png
    tempImageVG0I1g.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
  • tempImageDp6JTK.png
    tempImageDp6JTK.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 7
  • tempImagebDKPU4.png
    tempImagebDKPU4.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 7
Have you treated them for mites or lice? Is her vent prolapsed at all? How’s her poop? Any others affected?

Have you treated them for mites or lice? Is her vent prolapsed at all? How’s her poop? Any others affected?
No treatments, but now that I am searching in this chicken book we have, I'm thinking it might be a feather mite? No others are affected. Her vent doesn't appear prolapsed and not sure about poop

No treatments, but now that I am searching in this chicken book we have, I'm thinking it might be a feather mite? No others are affected. Her vent doesn't appear prolapsed and not sure about poop
could it be worms?

I have diatomaceous earth - should we try that before the Scalex gets here?
I tried it and had no result, but have at it! See if it does anything. I would definitely get the scalex. I use it On every single one of my chickens once every three months to prevent mites and lice. . I used on an infested turkey and how he is as good as new. Only took three days!!

I tried it and had no result, but have at it! See if it does anything. I would definitely get the scalex. I use it On every single one of my chickens once every three months to prevent mites and lice. . I used on an infested turkey and how he is as good as new. Only took three days!!
thank you so much! We will be trying it! We really appreciate the advice :)

Any suggestions and things to try?
Cant really see anything in the pics, other than possibly poopy butt feathers.
Would be good to trim off the poopy feathers and get a good look back there.

Don't bother treating for mites/lice unless you see them.
Using pesticides preventatively can create resistance.
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
-Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.
-Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

-Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
-Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
-Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

This is what I do when I have a bird that is acting off....
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

...and finally Welcome to BYC! @mac853
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1653829190015.png

Your pictures are not very clear.
Is she dirty or is all that darkness lice eggs?

What exactly do you feed your birds on a daily basis?
You have any idea when the last time she laid an egg was?

Back
Top Bottom