Some odd questions?

mikarod

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Oklahoma
Sorry...been thinking on some of these today:

1. Is yellow leg color or white leg color dominant? In other words...if you breed a Light Brahma (yellow legs) x Buff Orpington (white legs)...what would the dominant color be?

2. If frizzle can be put into any breed, can this variety be accepted by the APA?

White legs are dominant over yellow legs. But remember the offspring from the cross will carry the gene for yellow skin. If your cross siblings, then some yellow legs will show up in the offspring.

The APA question- you have to petition the APA and have so many ( ?) birds at shows and so many breeders (?) to get a new variety accepted. Some one else can fill you in on the exact numbers and the exact details.

Tim

Quote:
Yes, white is dominant but the APA part isn't quite right.
I'll quote from the ASOP:
"Frizzles may be shown in any breed and variety set forth in the SOP. All sections of the bird should conform to the shape description of the breed. The plumage colour should conform to the plumage description of the breed & variety involved. A Frizzle of any recognized breed may compete for class champion as provided under the rules of the APA."
In other words a Frizzle [fill in the blank with any recognized breed/variety] is already accepted in the SOP.

That is interesting about the frizzle! I assumed it was like any new breed and had to be "worked" into shows.

With the white legs, I have a hen that I bred about 10 years ago. She is a Light Brahma (cock) x Buff Orpington (hen) and came out white with an almost Delaware markings. She has feathered legs, and also bright yellow legs.

Is there a reason for this? Possibly the Orpington having a buff rock somewhere in the lines??

Or Cochin.
wink.png

Quote:
A cochin???? In the Buff Orpington lines???? That'd be difficult to find out...since the male was a Light Brahma...interesting thought though!

Back
Top Bottom