1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Some of my cotournix have cloudy eyes.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lopi1234, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Lopi1234

Lopi1234 In the Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Hi just as the title says. They are kept off the ground. I hatched them at my home. I have 3 different hatches. The first 2 hatches seem fine. I have about 50 birds and they are a year old. About 1/3 are blind. Have looked everywhere for any info. They are not vaccinated. I did feed them with medicated chick starter as chicks, but that is for coccidiosis. I also had them on all flock starter at 28% protein which they are still on. They are 1 yrs old. Mareks keeps popping up. I have seen studies that cots can get it, however cannot find anywhere that anyone vaccinated for it. I eat my quail and their eggs. I am temped to do a mass cull and hatch out some more. I figured I could look for pale, dis colored viscera and tumors then. I guess I can call merial (or other vaccine makers) if they have studied quail in any of their tests. Perplexed...researched a vet in the area that deals with livestock.

2. Lopi1234

Lopi1234 In the Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Anyone?

3. Lopi1234

Lopi1234 In the Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    9'er?

4. Lopi1234

Lopi1234 In the Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    So treated with Terramycin ointment...has improved, will try some rooster booster 3 way wormer. Said it can be used on quail. Yay me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: