1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some Old Lady

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    So we have a customer, who is an elderly woman, she's 84 and very forgetful. She called recently to request a new appointment reminder postcard, because she is pretty sure that her elderly sister "stole hers from her fridge, because it's so cute". So I laughed, chatted with her for a little while, and mailed out a new reminder postcard. Actually I mailed TWO, and wrote on one that it was a "secret spare" to hide from her thieving sister. I mentioned this to my boss, because I thought it was cute that she liked our postcard so much. I work for an exterminator, so it was a postcard with cartoon bugs on it, reminding her to do a pest treatment. Anyway, my boss said, "Oh, her? She's weird." I said that I didn't find her to be weird, I found her to be quite funny, and nice.

Anyway, she called again today, because she got the postcards, and wanted to make an appointment. She told me that she appreciated the two postcards, hung one back on her fridge and HID the other one. [​IMG] Well, she's very chatty, and I think this is what annoys my boss, but I have more friendliness and patience than he does. So she's talking, and I notice as I noticed before, that she has gaps in her memory, forgets simple words like "deck", "shrubs", "bees", etc. So I'm kind of politely helping her along. Then the conversation moves to other topics, as she's just chatting away. We get talking about poetry, and she tells me she's written poetry her whole life. I respond that I love poetry to which she begins to recite, word for word, without hesitation, a quite lengthy poem about how much she loves New England. A beautiful poem about the people, the foliage, etc. I asked her when she wrote it and she said it was well over 40 years ago, and that she hasn't recited it in years. How amazing, that this woman who can't remember the word for "shrub", or her phone number, can recite a long and beautiful poem!

She then mentions that she used to be a nightclub singer, singing classical music in Boston nightclubs in the 1940's. She mentions a couple of songs, and when I say I'm not sure which song she means, she starts to sing it. Her voice goes from frail and old to a lovely melodic voice of a much younger woman. And again, remembering all of the lyrics! She tells me she ultimately stopped singing, because she "didn't like the nightclub scene", and later ended up marrying and having children. She mentions her husband died 30 years ago. Back to the appointment, and she says she may get a call from her doctor, and if so may have to reschedule. She then tells me about a stomach aneurism that she has, and how she could "go at any time" if it bursts. Then she says, "It's okay, I'm 84, I've had a good life, I'm not worried about it".

Before hanging up, she asks for my home address, so she can mail me some poetry. She says she has a poem she wrote when JFK died that was published in all the Massachusetts telephone directories. She said I should mail her some of my poetry too. Before hanging up, she said I have a beautiful name and sang me a song called "Laura", which I don't know, but sounded very pretty.

I can't stop thinking about it. This kind of "life stuff" just fascinates me. This "old lady", that my boss doesn't care for because "she's weird and talks too much" is an absolutely fascinating person with an interesting life history that could so easily be overlooked because now she's old and frail and forgetful. Anyway, I hope I didn't bore anyone, I just thought I'd share a little highlight of my workday. She certainly stood out against the other customers who call upset because they are seeing ants, or whatever. Just a nice, meaningful chat with a lovely woman who has a lot of interesting stuff to say if given the opportunity.

I hope you will all take the time to get to know someone who might otherwise be overlooked in our day to day hurries. Yes, after I hung up I had to scramble to catch up on some paperwork because we talked so long, but it was worth every minute.

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    There is much to be learned from the older generations, that’s for sure. I used to stop by a local home for the elderly to bring flowers and I couldn’t shake their faces out of my mind. You just wonder what their life was about. What stories they have to tell…kind of makes me think of Forest Gump for some reason. Thank you for taking the time to bring some joy into the lady’s life.

3. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I always love to talk to interesting older people. Something about me makes older people chat with me in public places. I always find it interesting when people tell me about their lives. I wish my parents and grandparents were still alive, because I always loved hearing about the "old days".

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You probably made her week or even month by taking the time to listen to her. [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A wonderful post, Laurajean, and thank you for sharing.

6. spell

spell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    so sweet.
    i love old ladies. i'm drawn to them and them to me.
    there's something to be said for all this 'life stuff'.
    thanks for sharing

7. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Think about the history these folks have seen in their long lifetimes . [​IMG] Bless you lady for taking for taking the time to listen to her stories. We are usually so wrapped in our everyday life to pay much attention to other people . You made her day no doubt with a simple kindness. [​IMG]

8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thanks, and I genuinely didn't think of it as charity; she was very interesting, and although I had a few guilty thoughts about neglecting my office work, I decided listening to her was more important and I really enjoyed it. I tried to jot down the New England poem as she recited it, but she went too fast for me to get it down. If she remembers to mail it to me, I will post it, it was really very nice. A lot of times my boss tells me that customers say good things about me on the phone, and while I do think I am professional and know my stuff, I think it's more that I am friendly and attentive. I find other people very interesting. We even have one customer, who was always VERY rude and nasty, who now just loves me, because I took the time to get to know her a little, and I decided that she probably has her personal reasons for being nasty, and I was determined to win her over. I can't win them all over of course, and some people are just jerks, but what's a few minutes out of my day if it makes someone else smile? I know those little things help me, and this elderly woman really made me smile today. And I had a LOUSY start to my day, too!

9. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    It takes a lot of self control and wisdom to not let bad customers drag you down and make you angry. I envy you for it.

10. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    You've heard about the Karma thing....... I can't imagine the blessing you will get for that one simple act of kindness.

((((hugs))))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by