Some one education me on satins silkies please!

7BCCAA31-79A1-429F-89D3-D1CF9B4A508A.jpeg
0AF3064E-CE00-466F-A1DA-4399BE04BA85.jpeg

1A9A1BFB-54AD-4EF8-94BE-6BE20B243145.jpeg
877D7A1C-A3FF-4B1B-AD42-83F8159BEF9A.jpeg
F35ABB87-5257-4019-8572-EAB4B45A0F52.jpeg
26387A6E-946B-4072-A558-161EAF02AA3E.jpeg
Im a huge fan of Satins, these magnificent mutts. I posted a handy chart above. If you were going to go in this direction with your birds I’d start with your Silkie and frizzled Cochin. If you want to just purchase them send me a PM and I’ll tell you who I recommend.

Haven’t followed up on what names people are using for offspring produced by Silkie X Frizzled crossed.
Poultry are standard bred that means phenotype, the way they look.
While an interesting breeding project unfortunately there’s and has been too many wanting to make quick dollar selling every type feather that is on offspring.
Not going to get into what each type feather is called by people churning them out today.
To be recognized by APA or ABA they have to breed 50% true and that isn’t just talking about colors.
Just the 3 different feather types will stop their recognition.
They will always be manufactured and will have to be bred back to whatever combination is needed to produce.
Now bear with me on latest terms being used.
Satin is the term being used for the smooth feathered offspring. It lacks the type of any recognized standard description.
The type is makes it pet quality unless it is used somewhere in breeding program.
The Silkied is just the same a feather type but the type of chicken is pet quality and unless it’s able to be useful in breeding program it’s just pet quality.
Frizzed Silkie is a marketing term.
It used to be referred to as Sizzle.
These do have a unique feather structure not described in Standard Of Perfection.
A unique combination like nothing else in chickens.
Still pet quality as they will not reproduce themselves.
Thus the giving names to offspring that don’t have the unique feather.
Now before you want to dispute my response be sure you explain to everyone what each of the above will produce when mated each way.
Posting pictures of Silkies and Frizzled Cochin when bred to their same breed will reproduce themselves.
Buy what ever you can enjoy just know what you’re doing when buying.
Did a little more background research that my friend from CA provided when she dealt with creating the Sizzle.
Shannon Nickles
Sheri Minker
Both were involved from start of development of Sizzle.
I am going to try and attach link from My Pet Chicken
Was unable to attach link.
Have it copied somewhere just finding and attaching is what I am working on.
My post and pictures are about Silkie Frizzled Sizzle and smooth or satin feathers.
Not pro or con on any of the type of feathers.
I will keep trying to attach but in meantime you can go to My Pet Chicken and drill down to questions and answers

Lots of birds were mixed “mutts” at some point before being accepted. Same with dogs. The bird in my profile photo is a mix. Just won the calendar contest with him. Satins are stunning just like the Goldendoodle.
That was my reaction exactly. Some of you are doing great work towards moving them in the direction of a recognized breed. And, the fact that some of us admire them enough to want them in our flocks, allows you to more readily pursue your breeding programs ❤️.

My chickens are all pets, but by having diversity in my flock, visitors to our wee farm are much more interested in looking at them, and asking questions.

That was my reaction exactly. Some of you are doing great work towards moving them in the direction of a recognized breed. And, the fact that some of us admire them enough to want them in our flocks, allows you to more readily pursue your breeding programs ❤️.

My chickens are all pets, but by having diversity in my flock, visitors to our wee farm are much more interested in looking at them, and asking questions.
Just letting you know, this thread is from 2020!

Just letting you know, this thread is from 2020!
Yes, but I’ve been getting useful responses from 2018 threads, so November 2020 looked pretty recent 😁. It’s a topic I’ve just become interested in due to having new potential satin/sizzle chicks and Ronkonkima has posted some helpful pictures and useful insight ,in the not too distant past, regarding identification and genetics.

I’m guessing that now I know there may be a Satin thread to replace the Sizzle thread, I will make an effort to follow it.

Back
Top Bottom