1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some one is stealing my eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NoseyChickens, Jan 28, 2010.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Put a sign on the door that says the coop is under video surveillance and thieves will be prosecuted for stealing. They wont know if theres a camera, or where it is. If its a person, they'll run away. If its a critter, well, they wont.

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Could it possibly be the Cadbury rabbit?

3. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

4. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    I dont know if it would distress your hens but you could put a fake snake in a couple of the nests. It would certainly send a chill up the thiefs spine when he reached in the nest and may let him know you're on to him.

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    that's not very cool, to have a person come steal.. I hope hubby catches whoever is doing this!

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Here what your do. Pour alot of flour around the coop. If there is foorprints in it you know someones coming. if nofoorpronts and no eggs, chances are u have an egg eater

7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Hope you find out soon who or what it is.Keep us posted

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Cadbury rabbit:lol:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If it's really cold there (diabolical laugh) have the hose ready with the water turned on and drench the *&$#*

We grew up poor but would never, ever steal. We would offer to do odd jobs for eggs or fruit. What is wrong with people!

I hope DH is successful in his hunt. We'll be watching.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  9. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Well my DH will be home in a few hours for the day and DS is home sick and armed with a camera. I am going to rake the run so I will be able to see any foot prints. My girls live in a shed and there run is open, not covered. They are closed in at night but the run is just chain link fencing so there is no way to lock it up. (We are hoping to use part of our tax refund to make them a better more secure place to live) We have not had a problem with predators at all so far, and it is working out well, until now.

The thing that bothers me most is that whoever it is they know my car and apparently when I am home and what not. DH was on 24 hr duty last night and not home so I was a little freaked out being home without him. I have never felt like that living here before. I talked to my neighbors and they have seen and heard nothing. We only have really 2 neighbors next to our house. One right next door and one caddy corner behind us. to the other side and behind us are empty lots. Maybe putting to word out to the neighbors and some friends here in town (word travels fast in our tiny town) that we know it's happening will deter who ever it is. Seriously if your hungry come knock on my door, I'll give you some eggs. The little boy that lives across from the empty lot behind our house did tell my littlest daughter he saw some man in our yard. But, he would be in school all day, so I am really not putting any stock into that.

I had thought about it being an egg eater. But I am pretty sure that isnt the case. The other week I had a thin shelled egg that was cracked in the nest box and no one touched it. And when we are home and don't collect right away, the eggs are unharmed.

Oh and if it IS the Cadbury rabbit I am SO going to trap that thing and keep it!!! LOL!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  10. Kewlhanded

Kewlhanded Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    That aint cool! Hope ya put them in check....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by