Some Pekin advice for a newbie?

Allixox

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Ohio
I've tried browsing and can't really seem to find what I am looking for. I acquired two pekin ducklings about a weekend a half ago, and just had a few questions.

1. I've noticed that lately they've become a tad lazy. (While drinking or eating they lay down?) They're eating and drinking fine, and are up and moving around fine. Could this just he them being tiresome while growing? They've grown A LOT in the small amount of time that I've had them.

2. I've noticed that one of them occasionally breathes a little heavier than usual. To note ahead of time, they always have access to fresh water, deep enough to clear their nostrils. I've also been monitoring their heat lamp, and the temperature stays pretty consistent, so I don't think its overheating. I could just be overanazlying. I tend to do that a lot. I've held her to my ear and hear no wheezing/rattling, so I don't think it's blockage. Also, I change their cage dressing daily, so there are never spores present.

And lastly, is it normal to feel so fretted that one of your ducklings may catch illness, or am I just a bit of an extreme exaggerator? I just would hate to see something happen to one of them because of my lack of knowledge, because I really have grown quite fond of them.

welcome-byc.gif
It's not unusual at all for ducklings to squat down while eating or drinking. They really do grow rapidly. It doesn't sound as if there is a problem with your duckling. Relax and enjoy them. If a problem presents itself, there are people here who will try to help.

Pekin grow like weeds, my first time raising any, not my first ducks nor my first large ducks and wow lol they are such rapid growers, they have burst of energy vs full on action.

They will get more active... mine now forage daily and swim.. and mud ...

not sure on the breathing what are the temps? and what is the temp in the room? ducks don't require the heat level chicks do.. plus if brooded indoors they may only require heat at night... as they age.

this sticky gives good info..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Lastly, sure.. they are precious and it's new, pretty typical to be concerned, for the most part though, ducks are hardy little buggers and there is a ton of info out there, this forum for instance is wonderful for info.

I do like Storey's guide to ducks if you'd like a reference book!

welcome-byc.gif

My room stays at about an even 70 degrees. There was never any panting to go with it. Just some heavier breathing than usual. Didn't really even seem labored, so I'm probably just scaring myself, but better safe than sorry. They are inside and stay in my room with me. I only use the heat lamp at night when the temperature drops. Spring here in Ohio hasn't been too warm, so I haven't been able to take them out yet. I feel like that may be another factor in their laziness. A body in rest, you know? I have enjoyed this forum from as much as I've seen for far, think I may have to stay around and learn muuuch more! I've attaches a photo of my babies as well. This is Harley (onto of my frogs head), and Bubbles!

Last edited:
My room stays at about an even 70 degrees. There was never any panting to go with it. Just some heavier breathing than usual. Didn't really even seem labored, so I'm probably just scaring myself, but better safe than sorry. They are inside and stay in my room with me. I only use the heat lamp at night when the temperature drops. Spring here in Ohio hasn't been too warm, so I haven't been able to take them out yet. I feel like that may be another factor in their laziness. A body in rest, you know? I have enjoyed this forum from as much as I've seen for far, think I may have to stay around and learn muuuch more! I've attaches a photo of my babies as well. This is Harley (onto of my frogs head), and Bubbles!

Very cute! yeah i brooded mine indoors.. i own a half dozen, i found the lamp went much quicker we were just too warm with the house being 70°F. It's hard until they get some feathering outside is not the best if your cold, my weather is poor too.

Do stick around, would love to see them grow!

Here for kicks, mine...

Very cute! yeah i brooded mine indoors.. i own a half dozen, i found the lamp went much quicker we were just too warm with the house being 70°F. It's hard until they get some feathering outside is not the best if your cold, my weather is poor too. Do stick around, would love to see them grow! Here for kicks, mine...
Oh my! That's a lot of ducks! I couldn't imagine. Haha. My two alone are a handful but I love them! I can't wait for them to be the size of your brood, though I will definitely miss my babies!

Have two more questions if anyone is around to help?

1. How can you tell if your ducks/ducklings are happy?

2. One of the ducklings has been making a peeping noise when they're laid down for a nap. To explain, it peeps about 2-3 times every two minutes or so until they fall asleep. What is this? The other doesn't make a sound while this peeping is going on. Anyone have any idea? Id greatly appreciate it!

Just a pic from cuddle time this morning. :D

Last edited:
Oh my! That's a lot of ducks! I couldn't imagine. Haha. My two alone are a handful but I love them! I can't wait for them to be the size of your brood, though I will definitely miss my babies!
Those are only my Pekin, i have calls, Muscovy and Buffs lol

Have two more questions if anyone is around to help?

1. How can you tell if your ducks/ducklings are happy?

2. One of the ducklings has been making a peeping noise when they're laid down for a nap. To explain, it peeps about 2-3 times every two minutes or so until they fall asleep. What is this? The other doesn't make a sound while this peeping is going on. Anyone have any idea? Id greatly appreciate it!

Just a pic from cuddle time this morning.
big_smile.png

how to tell? eat, forage about... act normal basically? ducks are simple creatures... they enjoy exploring, eating and resting is very common when little.

Hmm hard to say on the noise, i know my females starting getting quite loud as they got older how i knew there were quite a few in my half dozen, they are chatty.

Sweet pic! they look content to me?

Those are only my Pekin, i have calls, Muscovy and Buffs lol

how to tell? eat, forage about... act normal basically? ducks are simple creatures... they enjoy exploring, eating and resting is very common when little.

Hmm hard to say on the noise, i know my females starting getting quite loud as they got older how i knew there were quite a few in my half dozen, they are chatty.

Sweet pic! they look content to me?

Oh my, I could never! Lol. Like I said, my two alone are a handful!

So I've come to realize that this peeping noise is a warning call of sorts? (At least it appears so.) She'll peep when there's noise that they are unsure of. But now I've got another question!

Are pekins known for extreme increases in appetite as they grow? They just seem to wanna eat non stop now. Just want to make sure if this is normal or not. The only thing that I know is good is how drastically they're growing. I literally see them getting bigger day by day.

I have a question: My Pekins ducklings are very skittish and scared when I put them on my lap. Is there a way to calm them and help them get used to you?

Back
Top Bottom