Some pen-raised Bobs sure aren't very skittish!

_Randall_

Songster
10 Years
Nov 3, 2009
Grenada, Ms
Was feeding my birds this past Saturday, and saw a pile of quail breast feathers on the ground not far from the pen. I got nervous thinkin' I'd done left the pen door open, and one had gotten out. Fast forward, ........... walked out of the house going to my truck Monday, and there was a BW hen standing on the driveway by my pickup.....just standing there. I got kinda close, and it just kinda run under the drive-thru carport under my boat. I ran down to the pen to check and see how the birds were gettin' out. All sealed......no escape holes! Went back to the carport, and chased the bird gently around the boat, and started whistling to her, and she started calling back. Went in and got my son to come help corner her, and I grabbed a long handle landing net from my boat, and caught her. Put a small yellow plastic zip tie on her leg so I could identify her for a day or two if she survived ( I trimmed the loose end) and went and put her in the pen with my other 48, and it was obvious she was a stranger. She kinda just stood there. She walked on over and started eating, and the other crowd started picking at her yellow sock. Long story short...........she's all OK with the other gang, and they're OK with her.

And where did she come from?? Well, I live in the country, and there's a guy about 3/4 mile behind me that raises quail, has flight pens, and releases them and holds hunts. It looks like the strays are getting called in by my birds, and don't want to leave. Kinda weird incident, but hey, I gained a new bird.........and I was short on females anyway.
wink.png
Just thought it was a strange deal........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom