Some people really pi$$ me off!

rmh0508

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Engadine, MI
I got a call from my uncle on Saturday, apparently his neighbors came into some money and decided in one day to up and move to Florida. Not that these people should have ever owned animals in the first place mind you. But anyway, they left and left about 20 chickens, and 3 rabbits. My uncle came home to find their dog tied in his yard as well.
So I get the call I and of course I'm on my way. I helped him catch the chickens, kept a few for myself and he took the rest as his flock is aging and not laying well. I managed to catch 2 of the rabbits and finally got the 3rd in a live trap tonight. I called animal control and they came and got the dog. So now I have these 3 rabbits who are pretty malnourished and were very dehydrated. The chickens seem OK, a bit thin but not too bad. The chickens and rabbits were all left locked in the coop with no way to get out. The rabbits had some tunnels under the coop but no outside exits.
Anyway I am still in a pretty bad mood about this whole thing and would really love to beat the crap outta these idiots. I'm sorry I am an animal lover and even if I weren't I could never just leave something to die like that and I just can;t understand it. I even vaccinate my neighbors dogs because I know they won't do it as well as worm them a couple times a yr. Same with another neighbor who can't seem to keep their horse at home. When he comes down I have a worming and vaccination chart for him right in my own horse's health folder and I worm and vaccinate him as well and trim his feet occasionally too. I am not rich by any means and sometimes can barely swing it for my own animals But I still manage to feed, worm, vaccinate and get proper farrier and vet care. Really is that too much to ask of some animal owners? Do some people not have a conscience much less a heart I mean come on its not that **** hard to take at least minimal care of them and do the responsible thing and find them a home if necessary.
Sorry for rambling on I still just really mad at the nerve of some people!
Oh anyone need a rooster I got stuck with him as well as the hens and I already have too many cocks in the hen house lol

Can't help you with the rooster, but big kudos on stepping in to do the necessary.
Please realize, sometimes the hardest part of being a good steward is knowing that others do not understand the responsibility that we have to our animals. It is disenheartening, but know that for every irresponsible and neglectful animal "owner" there is, there is also someone with the heart to do right by an animal, regardless of ownership. There are many, many more of us who have felt just as you feel now. And, if it ever becomes necessary, just remember that you can find some great info here:

http://www.aspca.org/Fight-Animal-Cruelty/report-animal-cruelty.aspx

You are an exceptional person with a big heart. I learned long ago that you can't make others care the way you do, or the way we think they should. This does not mean that we should give up trying. Remember, what goes around comes around, that is Karma. It is heroic to do what you do, you have my deepest respect.

Nice rooster. I don't get people.I see on craigs all the time people wanting an animal,and they are asking for free cages and supplies for their new pet.

you did good, but why didn't you or your uncle call the cops, people will keep doing things like that until they get busted. just like people dropping off dogs and cats....they think someone will take them, in most cases people do also ...like in your case...bet they knew someone would take them.

make them learn with a big fine or jail time.

Yay for you!
Even though these people are gone, I encourage you to report the abandonment to your local authorities. Last summer a woman near me was prosecuted for leaving a house-full of cats unattended. Apparently she travelled for work and was always on the road, but she "faithfully" returned once a month (
th.gif
) to leave food for the cats.

man, i wish i lived in MI. I'd take him in a heart beat!!!!!!! I am glad i am not the only one to deal with this!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom