Some people should not have animals... :(

Thank you!! Hopefully Lucky will keep improving. The limp was a little worse last night. But rainy weather is moving in....possibly she had an old injury which aggravates her in the damp weather. My awful neighbors as it turned out abandoned their cat that they had for five years. But it has turned up at a neighbor's house and they are feeding it.
sad.png
What is wrong with some people?

With people like that, the animals they abandon are at least luckier than the ones they keep. I had a family next door for years who never had a dog that got to be more than about 3 years old. They never gave their dogs real dog food, only leftovers. They were so unhealthy and always left outside no matter the weather that they'd get sick and die before they ever got very old. And ignorance of this sort is hereditary, parents teach it to their kids. Just makes you want to cry sometimes. And I don't even care for dogs, but any animal that depends on humans for it's life should be treated as well as we can treat them.

Great job with Lucky! She is gorgeous! And sooo lucky to have found you! As for her limping, I have a bantam cochin roo who lost all the toes on one foot from frostbite at his previous home, it really does affect his balance, so much so that he can't sleep on the roost with the others. If it starts getting cold and damp his limp is worse. I am sure they are super sensetive in those areas because of the loss of the toes and nerve damage? She seems like she would have no problems getting on the roost and as u mentioned is a very good flyer. I bet she slips right into your flock with very minimal problems! She seems very happy with them!

I haven't read all the pages on this thread but I can offer advice on the best nutrition and care for your new bird.

Since impacted crop is a concern for you please note that tuna, in oil not water, would be a good snack every day. I actually offer an entire small can. Starter feed for chicks along with mashed hard boiled eggs, not scrambled. Of course, grit has been mentioned and oyster shell. I also offer free choice black oil sunflower seeds but you may not want to unless she is consuming enough of the tuna to help move things along. Fresh grass and veggies sound like a winner.

And deworm her. Not with Wazine but rather with Ivomec since that will take care of internal and external parasites and keep any from taking away from her what nutrition her body is trying to keep.

You are wonderful to have rescued her and I am sure she is very grateful for the new home you are providing!
thumbsup.gif

Lucky sure is a very nice girl! I have a couple of rescued hens from a egg farm. The beaks on these girls are so short they use their little tongues to grab things off the ground. They adapted just fine with the other hens and hold their own just fine. Some people just look at these beautiful creatures as just things instead of the wonderful creations of character, grace and charm, they way God intended.

Quote:
I so agree......I tried to teach their kids that animals felt pain, joy and can be scared just like people. Sad, but something finally got through at least to the middle girl when their house was infested with fleas. I saw fleas crawling on her face and up into her hair. I asked her if it bothered her. She said, "Yes, it tickles and then it itches when they bite me!" Then I picked up their little dog and showed her his tummy with the fleas crawling all over. "It's the same for him," I told her.

"Oh," she said, "Then he needs a bath, too!" I don't know if the dog got one.....or the kid either....but I hope so. Their mother was completely indifferent to the suffering of her children and her pets....what is wrong with some people?

Thanks for the info about care!!!!!!!!!! I have never wormed my chickens....my vet and my farmer friend told me not to unless I have a problem. But my chickens have good food and care but it makes sense that Lucky might have an issue because of her hard start in life. Do I have to get Ivomec from the vet or can I buy it at a place like Tractor Supply? I have Zimmectrin paste for my horses....but I have no clue how to calculate the dosage.

Thank you Chickenaddict...I so do worry about Lucky's limp. We are getting the remnants of Lee right now. That must be why her limp is worse. I never even considered nerve damage. My vet is coming to float my horse's teeth in a couple of weeks. I'll bring Lucky down to the barn and have him give her a once over. I have to make sure he doesn't get carried away. He loves to pull out his portable X-Ray! I had him examine my chicken with the crossed beak. He said he could do surgery to correct her jaw and then make her a new beak out of fiberglass....but the beak would have to be replaced a few time a year. I love my funny faced chicken but as long as she can still maintain her weight if I trim her beak regularly then I am OK with that. I really can't afford surgery on her 3 times a year!!!

Lucky wanted to come out of the pen this morning for the first time! So I left the door open....then I will check on her in a couple of hours to make sure nobody put her in a corner somewhere!!! But in the AM the rest of the peeps get their good snacks. So everyone is doing the feeding frenzy thing and they don't really care about anything else! We did lose a couple things from the freezer in the storm...hash browns...they taste a little funny now. So the chickens enjoyed those for breakfast this AM. They are not as fussy as people!

Back
Top Bottom