Some Predator Pics

RockRoadchick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Southern Illinois
Last month some research students set up a couple of cameras on my property to watch the wildlife. When they were done they sent me a copy of what they found. After reviewing the results it's made me very nervous for my birds and definitely motivated me to build my coop extra secure! The camera was only 20-30 feet from where I'm building.

We had a lot of deer pictures and one of a wild turkey but I'm only posting the predators for your viewing. If I uploaded these right I hope you enjoy them!
smile.png

The coyote looks like he's seen better days but the raccoons look fat and sassy.

24142_coyote.jpg

24142_2_raccoons.jpg

24142_possum.jpg

That is the ugliest coyote I've ever seen! Here's a hint, kinda icky: pee around the perimeter of your place. You're marking your territory. That's a Mister coyote, so Mister pee would be good. No kidding.

Mrs.Puff :

That is the ugliest coyote I've ever seen! Here's a hint, kinda icky: pee around the perimeter of your place. You're marking your territory. That's a Mister coyote, so Mister pee would be good. No kidding.

With all the testosterone flying around this place that shouldn't be a hard thing to accomplish... in fact all these boys will be dashing for the door when I tell them to mark their territory. Ummm and no wonder nothing comes near the yard.
tongue.png

yep, he has bad mange... when they get it that badly, that's when people think they've seen or killed a chupacabra! Not very pretty, is it?

I used to live in NorCal and now I'm in Southern Washington and the coyotes in both places are large, and very furry... they look almost like wolves... it makes me sad to see that coyote in such bad shape! Unlike many chicken people, I actually love the big predators. True, I built my coop like a fortress and I watch my birds extremely closely when I let them out to free range... but I also understand that healthy, plentiful predators are indicators of a healthy ecosystem, and we all like that! So, yes, built a REALLY secure coop and run and keep a close eye on your birds... but in my mind, if a predator gets, one... hey, they were here first and they're just trying to survive as well.

I think the pics are very cool! Thanks for sharing! Be sure to lock your birdies up really well! And having the boys pee around the area couldn't hurt...
smile.png

Poor poor coyote, he does have mange but I have to say that there are many in this area that are in better shape. I want them all to be healthy but I hope they stick to eating wild rabbits etc..and leave my birds alone!

We have many coyotes around. I hear them singing at night all the time and enjoy the music. Here I live out in the middle of nowhere and still wish I was closer to the wilder places in the world.

I'm pleased you all enjoyed the pictures and thank you for your advice here and throughout the forums.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom