Some questions about hatching

Truck207

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
My family and I have 40 hens and 5 roosters and our local elementary school has asked us if we would like to donate eggs for two of their classes to incubate eggs. Sooo...we have never hatched our own eggs and I was wondering how to go about getting the eggs to the school for them to put in the incubator. Once we get the eggs from the chicken coop, do we put them in the refridgerator or keep them out in room temperature? How many days can we collect eggs and keep them (either in refridgerator or at room temp., which ever it is suppose to be) before we give them to the school? Is there a certain way we should put the eggs in the carton, pointed end up or down, or does it matter? Sorry for these somewhat dumb questions, but it is our first time and we would like to get it right so the school can have a successful hatch. Also, any other information or tips that anyone has for me, please tell me, any and all information is appreciated.

Thanks!!

welcome-byc.gif

I am really glad to here that others like to help out the local schools. I am not an expert but I do know a few things.

When you collect the eggs most people recommend storing the in the 50 to 60 degree range.

You can collect eggs for hatching for up to 10 days, but also note that the fresher the more likely they are to hatch.

Always store eggs for hatching "POINTED END" down.

Also remember that for any egg to hatch it needs to be turned at least a couple of times a day, even before placed in the inky,
to keep the embero from sticking to the side, even a 1 inch spacer moved from end of egg carton to the other end is sufficient.

I recomend the teachers allow the eggs to rest from the time you deliver them till the next day to allow the air sacks to settle back into place.

Some people wash eggs others dont, so I guess that is a personal preference. I myself always try to use the cleanes eggs so I dont have to
wash them. but I have washed in the past. Have had mixed results with it. If the egg is extremely dirty I myself would not use it.

Last thing I know of is make sure the eggs you send are from healthy girls and are of similar size and free of cracks.

Tell them I said good luck with the hatch and hope the kids enjoy. I know I sure do on every hatch.

thumbsup.gif

Ditto about the really dirty eggs. Even if you clean them, they are more likely to have bacteria that penetrated the shell, and thus their viability is lower than clean eggs. And washing them is supposed to actually drive the bacteria in, so it can make matters worse instead of better. And Kudos for helping out the school. I'm sure they truly appreciate your generosity.

I know you already got the answer from the others hehe...but-

Store them in a egg carton or shoe box at Room temp. (approx 70 F)

If you have cool eggs be sure to SLOWLY let them warm up before putting them

in the bator. They can be stored for up to 7-10 days, if stored longer than that, their

chance of hatching will decrease. If the eggs are stored more than 3 days, rotate them once daily.

Also, Store them with the SMALL end DOWN. Never clean eggs that are dirty with water or cleaning

products, as this will wipe off their protective coating, and exposes it to entry of

disease/bacteria. Also, the rubbing/wiping can actaully push any bacteria through the pores,

into the egg. Avoid cracked eggs. Avoid Extremely large or small eggs, Large eggs hatch poorly and small

eggs will give you small chicks. Happy hatching
wink.png

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies! So when I store them in an egg carton with the pointed end down, how do I rotate them? Do I just turn the in a circle, like left to right? To me it just doesn't seem like enough, but, again, this is my first time trying this.

When I bring the eggs to the teacher, should the teacher let them rest for a day in the egg carton or in the incubator (just without it on)?

Also, I think I know the answer to this question but, the only real way to find out if the egg is fertile is after it has been in the incubator for 2-3 days, right? After it has been in for 2-3 days we take it out and candle it to see if there are any shadows or dark spots in it?

Thanks.

To turn them in an egg carton just put a bit of wood or something under one side to lift one sie of the carotn up so the eggs are angled. Then switch the position of the wood to the other side and hey presto you have turned the eggs.
smile.png

Turn the incubator on and let it get settled at the temperature and humidity you want for a day and just let the eggs sit in the carton. Then the next day add the eggs.

And yeah in a couple of days time you can candle them to check for veins to assess fertility.

Good luck

I like to mention that incubators must be in a room that will keep temperature steady between 65 and 77 ( im not sure about this part)

make sure the incubators will not be in a room that will drop the temperature on the 60's or below

this will afect the temperature inside the incubators and the result

OK, thats simple enough, never thought of just putting a piece of wood under the carton!

The incubator will be in a classroom at the school, so I don't think the room will get much below 60F.

I live in the northeast so right now the temperatures during the day are around mid 20's to low 30's and I usually am not able to collect the eggs until night time, so will that be OK if I wait until then to collect them and bring them inside to warm up to use in the incubator? Or should I try to go out every so many hours and collect the eggs before they get to cold? Will them being out there all day and somewhat freezing be OK to use in an incubator or does it ruin the egg?

Thanks.

Quote:
This is what my incubator manual says about location
An Incubator is designed to bring normal room temperature to the desired temperature. Room temperture of 60°F. or below will reduce the temperature
in the incubator. Room temperature change of 10°F. or more will change temperature in incubator & is more pronounced below a temperature of 70°F. The
location of the machine is important to successful operation. A room temperature from 70° to 80°F. is ideal, and fresh air without drafts is necessary. Be sure
no direct sunlight strikes the incubator and that it sets level. A consistant room temperature within a few degrees is best.

Back
Top Bottom