Some say ive got roosters instead of hens

How would i tell if my chickens are hens or roosters ?

There are different things you can look for at different ages. If you take photos of your birds and post them here (include the ages) we can help you identify the characteristics that would indicate whether they are pullets or cockerels.

My wife's grandmother who is not new to chickens swore up and down that my Columbian hen was a rooster when she was over 12 months old. She was always clearly a hen to me, and with the huge eggs she gives me every day if she's not I'm missing cashing in on millions with an egg laying rooster.

Like said above. The experts here will get you sorted out in short order if you post pics. There are too many variables with breeds and ages to describe it. Crowing is the only real universal marker, well that and when they stack the rooster is generally the one on top. Some breeds like Silkies and Polish can be tricky to tell even as adults if you're new to it.

There are different things you can look for at different ages. If you take photos of your birds and post them here (include the ages) we can help you identify the characteristics that would indicate whether they are pullets or cockerels.
x3

Hi wyandottes7 sorry about the late reply I have been away for the week and just got your msgs. Here are some photos of the 4 chickens i have at present i have been told that 2 are 13-14 month old and the other 2 are approx 6 months old, thanks

Back
Top Bottom