Some sort of pest, may have to be put down if I dont find an answer soon

Wicked Storm

Songster
Aug 10, 2019
I know I do a lot of these but I have lots of animals. I have a goose that has some sort of problem, it is losing its feathers, only the shafts are left. I do not believe this is a molt. It is not lice because I've already treated her like all my other geese. She is scratching a lot and the feathers are falling out. The way I'm describing it makes it seem like a molt or lice but it's not.
IMG_20200531_101506_253.jpg
IMG_20200531_101454_632.jpg
IMG_20200531_101452_556.jpg
IMG_20200531_101503_078.jpg
I've never seen this and I've treated so many geese. All of the other geese avoid her. I've treated her with lice/flea/tick spray, and it did not work, so she doesn't have lice. I'm really not sure what this is but it's definitely serious. If I don't find an answer soon I may have to put her down so the issue doesn't spread. I'm researching a lot. She has plenty of access to deep water as well. Please help

I know I do a lot of these but I have lots of animals. I have a goose that has some sort of problem, it is losing its feathers, only the shafts are left. I do not believe this is a molt. It is not lice because I've already treated her like all my other geese. She is scratching a lot and the feathers are falling out. The way I'm describing it makes it seem like a molt or lice but it's not. View attachment 2172908View attachment 2172909View attachment 2172910View attachment 2172911 I've never seen this and I've treated so many geese. All of the other geese avoid her. I've treated her with lice/flea/tick spray, and it did not work, so she doesn't have lice. I'm really not sure what this is but it's definitely serious. If I don't find an answer soon I may have to put her down so the issue doesn't spread. I'm researching a lot. She has plenty of access to deep water as well. Please help

I am not a vet but it sounds to me like you are dealing with some kind of mite infestation.
Good Luck!

I am not a vet but it sounds to me like you are dealing with some kind of mite infestation.
Good Luck!
That's what I believe as well, before I had sprayed her with some stuff that was supposed to help, she is starting to grow back some feathers now, hopefully she gets better!

That sounds like recovery if your seeing some regrowth of feathers. Are you giving your geese plenty of water for bathing? And maybe add some poultry vitamins to her daily help plus I’ve heard good things about feather fixer might check into that. If you’ve treated for mites and that is what it was hopefully she’s on the mend now. They can cause anemia so get her pumped with some good protein and vitamins to get her health back.

I bought my goose a $5.88 pool at Walmart and she loves it sooo much. Easy to dump and refill. Her and the duck bathe together. LOL
I plan to get her a bigger one later but she had an entire pond and preferred her tiny pool.

That sounds like recovery if your seeing some regrowth of feathers. Are you giving your geese plenty of water for bathing? And maybe add some poultry vitamins to her daily help plus I’ve heard good things about feather fixer might check into that. If you’ve treated for mites and that is what it was hopefully she’s on the mend now. They can cause anemia so get her pumped with some good protein and vitamins to get her health back.
Yes they all have plenty of water for bathing. Definitely will give her some vitamins. Never heard of a feather fixer before but Definitely will look it up! Thank you so much!

I bought my goose a $5.88 pool at Walmart and she loves it sooo much. Easy to dump and refill. Her and the duck bathe together. LOL
I plan to get her a bigger one later but she had an entire pond and preferred her tiny pool.
Yeah I already have lots of water lol I live by a whole marsh (case and point the mites) and there is a whole channel in it. Then I also hqve some pools and pans for the little ones. Thank you sm!

Back
Top Bottom