Some things I have learned since I started raising chickens...

WyoChickenMamma - THANK YOU for starting this thread!

I've learned that a kitchen remodel is a GREAT time to reserve a wall for "chicken photos." The new cookbook stand is made out of chicken wire. So is the magazine rack. And instead of getting glass doors for the china hutch, I'm also lobbying for stapling in chicken wire.

I've also learned that just 10 minutes of "chicken teevee," while sitting on the floor of their run, is wonderful therapy. As long as you don't get pooped on.

...that the pang of losing some to predators makes you try THAT much harder to be a better chicken parent. Underground reinforcement; done.

...that I can now identify with the pigeon lady from "Home Alone," especially when I simultaneously have a chicken untying my shoelaces, sitting on my lap, flying onto my arm, squatting on my shoulder and resting on my head. And the last one's ticked because there's no room left.

...that "honey, I love you," really means "can you build a bigger coop?"

- Kim

Love this thread, and I relate to just about everything on it! (I just ordered 25 more peeps yesterday to arrive at the end of Sept!) We're gonna need a bigger coop.

I've learned...

I never knew how pretty, or delishious, eggs can be.

That chickens are quite beautiful, and can be very personable. (But just like people, some have better personalities than others.)

Chickens can peck HARD when they want your attention.

I'm very glad they're no bigger than they are.

I'm never too tired or busy to run out and check on them, even in the middle of the night.

I need longer days, more money and less distractions.(like the computer!)

And thanks to BYC, I've learned I'm not alone in this crazy love for my chickens!
frow.gif

I have learned that the simple statement " I would love to have a couple chickens" leads to
a large coop,
30 laying hens,
12 half grown chickens of various breeds,
2 goats (to help clear more area for the chickens to free range)
going to every "fair", "auction", and "festival you can find in the hopes that "something new may catch my eye"
neighbors and family "stop in" or call more frequently and the first question is usually "got any extra eggs?"
revamping the old. very large dog coop next to the very large chicken coop, into a 'goat, chicken, or just in case I find something at the next sale, house.
the knowledge that chickens do not lie to you or about you behind your back and they always love you even when you don't have treats and.....
last but certainly not least, great breakfasts, wonderful bar-b-ques and cool texts from those friends and family saying "wow, great eggs"

Love, love, love this post! I can relate to them all. Every barn I pass I comment to my DH, "I need a coop that size!" He is NOT amused. My friends all refer to me as the crazy chicken lady. My mother says I talk more about my chickens than I do my children. My friend threaten me yesterday if I started decorating with chickens she would no longer speak to me. I plan trips around fairs, and chicken shows, dragging unwilling people along! And let's not even get started on chicken math!

This post is great!!! I thought i was loosing my mind because all i do is obsess over these chickens! I can't get enough of them, i have never spent so much time outside. One thing i want to know is: What is chicken tv?? I want to watch it!!!

Quote:
Chicken TV is what we all call the time we spend just sitting and watching the chickens. I find it is way better than what is on TV and I get the fresh air too.
smile.png
Many people even have chairs or benches in or near their runs or areas where they free range.

I have learned all of the above AND.....
That the coop is ALWAYS in need of improvements, for my convenience or the chickens well being.
D.gif
Right?

I've had my girls since Easter and I have learned that:

Like in real life, there's always one that is gripping about something (Our Olivia is always complaining)
Chickens have the cutest butts.
Raccoons are not so cute anymore!
That waiting for one little egg could preoccupy my time the way it has.

Since I began keeping chickens, I have learned the true meaning of being a momma hen. I enjoyed so much watching my momma hens teach their little ones to catch bugs and eat seeds, and to hide when something was amiss, but I think my favorite lesson was that the big featherless chicken (me) is a safe source of treats. I loved it when they brought their little ones over to eat out of my hands, precious. Another favorite lesson was when they told their little ones that it was time to move on and quit being so clingy. They were so patient and dedicated, but ever watchful. After the first week of shushing their babies away, one was threatened by a cat, and Momma was having none of that! It was great to see it.

I have learned that someone dead set against having chickens can become so besotted with them that he sneaks visits in and talks to them when he thinks no one is looking. That he (hubby) does in fact have a favorite, and that he keeps a bag of raisins in the garage so he can give them treats before i get home.

I have learned just how much it hurts to lose one.

I have learned to heed the warning the girls give you when there is a snake in the nest box. I have also learned that I don't like sharing my eggs with those critters, but that I can forgive them and relocate them.

I have learned what it means to give your fresh eggs away to people who are in true need or down on their luck, and that my backyard hobby (obsession) really can make a difference in some persons life, or, at least in their belly.

I have learned how much people don't know about chickens, and that I can educate them about these beautiful creatures. I never knew how many misconceptions people actually had about chickens, eggs, etc.

I have learned that my chickens trust me to keep them safe, and that when there is a stray cat, dog, etc about, and I call chick chick chick, they come running to me for safe keeping. It is the same call i use for treats, but when they hear the note of danger in my voice, their reaction is completely and totally different. They gather around my feet in a circle, watching the source of danger until it is gone. It is quite amazing that they can detect my emotion in my voice and react to it.

I have learned that not only does each one have it's own distinct personality, but that when you least expect it and think you have them figured out, they do something new that is truly amazing and keeps you guessing. Perfect example, my favorite hen, Whoopi, was one of my Momma hens. From the time that she laid her first egg until the day she laid her last, she would growl whenever you came near her laying an egg. When she went broody on me, I expected that she would be one of the evil chickens you read about, growling, puffing up, biting. She was such a sweet broody hen, I fed and watered her from my hand while she was on the nest, and after her chick was hatched, she moved away from it, let me pick it up, hold it, check it out, give it food and water, and never even offered to puff up at me. I really did enjoy this lesson in humility. I never knew that the trust of your chicken could touch you to your core.

I have learned a lot, and continue to learn every single day that they are a part of my life.

things I learned...
... that I look forward to coming home to my babies, even though it means poop cleanup duties...
... that it feels like Christmas morning everytime I go collect eggs - even after more than a year doing so!
... that even though my coop and run are completely covered in hardware cloth, I worry about all the creatures out there that want to eat my babies...
... that I bought a trail cam just so I could see what's out there at night wanting to eat my babies...
... that what they say about chicken math is true...

Back
Top Bottom