Some tips and tricks that might help hatching eggs with broodies.

Gringa

Chirping
Sep 3, 2019
Quito, EC
So yesterday one of my hens hatched 11 chicks. Since hatching chicks with a broody has been an issue for me, I am very happy with this number. :love

IMG_20200228_094551.jpg

I would like to share couple of things that I've learned over the last couple of months that may help someone else who is having difficulty: 1) Don't touch the eggs, leave them in the nest. I used to gather the eggs everyday and then once a hen goes broody, take some back out to her. 2) More eggs means more chicks, before I would give a hen about 8 eggs and she would hatch anywhere from 1 to 4 chicks, but now I will leave the hen about 15 eggs. When a hen goes broody make sure her nest has 3) clean bedding and clean eggs. I've had other chickens sleep inside the nesting boxes before and when it's rainy the hens track mud on their feet into the nests as well. And, I've designed the chicken coop to have a lot of light, but it seems that broodies do better when it's 4) dark, so I have to put up some type of covering like cardboard over 80% of the nest box opening.

Hope this information is able to help someone. :frow

So yesterday one of my hens hatched 11 chicks. Since hatching chicks with a broody has been an issue for me, I am very happy with this number. :love

View attachment 2037935

I would like to share couple of things that I've learned over the last couple of months that may help someone else who is having difficulty: 1) Don't touch the eggs, leave them in the nest. I used to gather the eggs everyday and then once a hen goes broody, take some back out to her. 2) More eggs means more chicks, before I would give a hen about 8 eggs and she would hatch anywhere from 1 to 4 chicks, but now I will leave the hen about 15 eggs. When a hen goes broody make sure her nest has 3) clean bedding and clean eggs. I've had other chickens sleep inside the nesting boxes before and when it's rainy the hens track mud on their feet into the nests as well. And, I've designed the chicken coop to have a lot of light, but it seems that broodies do better when it's 4) dark, so I have to put up some type of covering like cardboard over 80% of the nest box opening.

Hope this information is able to help someone. :frow
This is my first hen that has gone broody. I dont think i like it because i dont have her own private place. She stays with the flock. I lrobably wont let her do this again until i have her own space. Shes hatched 2 healthy chicks so far. I removed them to the brooder because shes still sitting on eggs

This is my first hen that has gone broody. I dont think i like it because i dont have her own private place. She stays with the flock. I lrobably wont let her do this again until i have her own space. Shes hatched 2 healthy chicks so far. I removed them to the brooder because shes still sitting on eggs

Some hens like private spaces, others don't, it depends on the hen. Why did you remove the chicks? As a rule chicks should always stay with the hen unless there is a health issue. Most hens will decide to leave the eggs that don't hatch eventually.

Some hens like private spaces, others don't, it depends on the hen. Why did you remove the chicks? As a rule chicks should always stay with the hen unless there is a health issue. Most hens will decide to leave the eggs that don't hatch eventually.
She is in the nest about 12 inches off the ground and in both instances the chick fell out into the shavings peeping loudly when i came in. Broody left it to get on her eggs. Didnt know how the flock would react to a chick. My first experience so i just reacted to the situation. my heart went out to the loud peeps lol

She is in the nest about 12 inches off the ground and in both instances the chick fell out into the shavings peeping loudly when i came in. Broody left it to get on her eggs. Didnt know how the flock would react to a chick. My first experience so i just reacted to the situation. my heart went out to the loud peeps lol

Yes, it happens. One of these 11 chicks also fell out of the nest. But just try to put something up like a piece of wood or cardboard in front of the nest temporarily so that they can't fall out or jump out till the hen is ready to leave the nest for good. Then, the hen is pretty good about fending off the rest of the flock from her babies.

Yes, it happens. One of these 11 chicks also fell out of the nest. But just try to put something up like a piece of wood or cardboard in front of the nest temporarily so that they can't fall out or jump out till the hen is ready to leave the nest for good. Then, the hen is pretty good about fending off the rest of the flock from her babies.
She takes turns with another broody sitting😢

Back
Top Bottom